Обсуждение: No documentation on how pg_ctl is installed

No documentation on how pg_ctl is installed

От
PG Doc comments form
Дата:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/app-pg-ctl.html

I have used postgresql@14 for several years and have always used pg_ctl to
start the postgres server, check status etc.

I tried upgrading to postgresql@15 with the command brew install
postgresql@15 on a Mac from Terminal and pg_ctl is apparently not installed.
The Documentation page for pg_ctl goes into all kinds of detail about the
utility, the options to use, etc. but NOTHING about how it is installed,
troubleshooting when it doesn't work or when it is not found. Google
searches yield very little information also.

Fairly new to postgres - apologies for the newbie comments but a little more
documentation is needed here.

Re: No documentation on how pg_ctl is installed

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 23 Apr 2024, at 14:40, PG Doc comments form <noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/app-pg-ctl.html
>
> I have used postgresql@14 for several years and have always used pg_ctl to
> start the postgres server, check status etc.
>
> I tried upgrading to postgresql@15 with the command brew install
> postgresql@15 on a Mac from Terminal and pg_ctl is apparently not installed.
> The Documentation page for pg_ctl goes into all kinds of detail about the
> utility, the options to use, etc. but NOTHING about how it is installed,
> troubleshooting when it doesn't work or when it is not found. Google
> searches yield very little information also.
>
> Fairly new to postgres - apologies for the newbie comments but a little more
> documentation is needed here.

This sounds like a question for the Homebrew maintainers, the postgres project
is not packaging postgres for Homebrew and have no insight into how they do it.

--
Daniel Gustafsson

Re: No documentation on how pg_ctl is installed

Дата:
Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> writes:
>> On 23 Apr 2024, at 14:40, PG Doc comments form <noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:
>> I tried upgrading to postgresql@15 with the command brew install
>> postgresql@15 on a Mac from Terminal and pg_ctl is apparently not installed.

> This sounds like a question for the Homebrew maintainers, the postgres project
> is not packaging postgres for Homebrew and have no insight into how they do it.

Indeed.  It's somewhat common though for packagers to split
client-side Postgres programs (psql, libpq, etc) from server-side
(which'd include pg_ctl as well as the server proper).  I'd check
for a related server package before you go complaining to the
homebrew folks.

            regards, tom lane

Re: No documentation on how pg_ctl is installed

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 23.04.24 14:40, PG Doc comments form wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/app-pg-ctl.html
>
> I have used postgresql@14 for several years and have always used pg_ctl to
> start the postgres server, check status etc.
>
> I tried upgrading to postgresql@15 with the command brew install
> postgresql@15 on a Mac from Terminal and pg_ctl is apparently not installed.
> The Documentation page for pg_ctl goes into all kinds of detail about the
> utility, the options to use, etc. but NOTHING about how it is installed,
> troubleshooting when it doesn't work or when it is not found. Google
> searches yield very little information also.

I see pg_ctl in the normal package-specific bin directory, e.g.,
/usr/local/opt/postgresql@15/bin/pg_ctl or
/opt/homebrew/opt/postgresql@15/bin/pg_ctl.