Обсуждение: Postgresql active-active nodes in cluster

Postgresql active-active nodes in cluster

От
Vidyashree H S
Дата:
Hi,

I'm using Postgresql 15.4 version on RISCV architecture
I'm trying to implement active-active nodes in cluster, I have gone through various websites, there they have mentioned the theory concept of it. But I want to implement to verify how active-active nodes actually work.

Are there any resources which talks about Postgresql active-active node implementation? If yes, please provide me the resource information or url.

Thanks
Vidyashree H S

Re: Postgresql active-active nodes in cluster

От
Kashif Zeeshan
Дата:
Hi

You can use BDR, you can have a look on the following link.

Thanks
Kashif Zeeshan
Bitnine Global

On Thu, May 9, 2024 at 3:28 PM Vidyashree H S <Shreevidya.hs@exaleapsemi.com> wrote:
Hi,

I'm using Postgresql 15.4 version on RISCV architecture
I'm trying to implement active-active nodes in cluster, I have gone through various websites, there they have mentioned the theory concept of it. But I want to implement to verify how active-active nodes actually work.

Are there any resources which talks about Postgresql active-active node implementation? If yes, please provide me the resource information or url.

Thanks
Vidyashree H S

Re: Postgresql active-active nodes in cluster

От
Greg Sabino Mullane

That is a pretty old page. There are other solutions, such as pgedge, but the three most important questions when it comes to active-active replication are:

* Do you really, really need it? (hint: the answer is no)
* What problem are you trying to solve?
* Are you really willing to suffer the tradeoffs?

Cheers,
Greg

P.S. Please upgrade to v15.7

Re: Postgresql active-active nodes in cluster

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
On Thu, May  9, 2024 at 06:33:39PM -0400, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

>     https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Multimaster
>

> That is a pretty old page. There are other solutions, such as pgedge, but the
> three most important questions when it comes to active-active replication are:
>
> * Do you really, really need it? (hint: the answer is no)
> * What problem are you trying to solve?
> * Are you really willing to suffer the tradeoffs?

Agreed, see this:

    https://momjian.us/main/blogs/pgblog/2018.html#December_24_2018

Re: Postgresql active-active nodes in cluster

От
Vidyashree H S
Дата:
Thanks all for your inputs.

  • Currently I'm working on active-passive(Primary and standby scenario).
  • I'm preparing one study report on active-active node implementation which talks about active-active nodes background, theoretical explanation, implementation part which includes some trails on this. For that, I'm checking for the resources.

Thanks
Vidyashree H S

--
  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>        https://momjian.us
  EDB                                      https://enterprisedb.com

[EXT]

Re: Postgresql active-active nodes in cluster

От
Vidyashree H S
Дата:
Hi,

  • Is that multi master replication is not recommended to do ?
  • If we can do, can I get any resource for implementing that on PostgreSQL which is open-source?

Thanks,
Vidyshree H S

On Thu, May  9, 2024 at 06:33:39PM -0400, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

>     https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Multimaster
>

> That is a pretty old page. There are other solutions, such as pgedge, but the
> three most important questions when it comes to active-active replication are:
>
> * Do you really, really need it? (hint: the answer is no)
> * What problem are you trying to solve?
> * Are you really willing to suffer the tradeoffs?

Agreed, see this:

        https://momjian.us/main/blogs/pgblog/2018.html#December_24_2018

--
  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>        https://momjian.us
  EDB                                      https://enterprisedb.com

[EXT]

Re: Postgresql active-active nodes in cluster

От
Greg Sabino Mullane
Дата:
On Mon, May 13, 2024 at 2:53 AM Vidyashree H S <Shreevidya.hs@exaleapsemi.com> wrote:
  • Is that multi master replication is not recommended to do ?

No, it is not recommended, as it has a very, very narrow use case, and comes with a lot of drawbacks. Sure, you COULD configure your car to also be able to ride across the river like a boat, but it's far easier to use a bridge, or a barge. And now your car is harder to care for, and has a lot more ways in which it could break.
  • If we can do, can I get any resource for implementing that on PostgreSQL which is open-source?
You still have not told us your use case. That can help us to guide you to the right solution. But for totally open source solutions there are not many out there. Here are some:

You can also in theory use logical replication if at least version 16:

Cheers,
Greg