Обсуждение: Need clarification on compilation errors in PG 16.2

Need clarification on compilation errors in PG 16.2

От
Pradeep Kumar
Дата:
Hi ,
While we try to install PG 16.2 from the source code in macbook we getting this following errors
```
explicit_bzero.c:22:9: error: call to undeclared function 'memset_s'; ISO C99 and later do not support implicit function declarations [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
        (void) memset_s(buf, len, 0, len);
               ^
explicit_bzero.c:22:9: note: did you mean 'memset'?
/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX14.2.sdk/usr/include/string.h:74:7: note: 'memset' declared here
void    memset(void __b, int __c, size_t __len);
         ^
1 error generated.
make[2]: *** [explicit_bzero.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-port-recurse] Error 2
make: *** [all-src-recurse] Error 2

```
then I changed the function memset_s(buf, len, 0, len) to memset(buf, 0, len) and it's working. need a clarification on this?

Thanks and regards
Pradeep

Re: Need clarification on compilation errors in PG 16.2

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 28 May 2024, at 07:37, Pradeep Kumar <spradeepkumar29@gmail.com> wrote:

This requires more information to be shared in order to figure out what could
be happening.

> ```
> explicit_bzero.c:22:9: error: call to undeclared function 'memset_s'; ISO C99 and later do not support implicit
functiondeclarations [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
>         (void) memset_s(buf, len, 0, len);
>                ^

This codepath would only be reached if the buildsystem determined that memset_s
was available so something is fairly wrong here.  Did you change any builfiles
after running configure?  Re-install or upgrade XCode after running configure?

> then I changed the function memset_s(buf, len, 0, len) to memset(buf, 0, len) and it's working. need a clarification
onthis?

memset_s and memset have the same prototype, and are functionally equivalent,
but memset_s have certain properties which are required in this codepath.

--
Daniel Gustafsson

Re: Need clarification on compilation errors in PG 16.2

От
Pradeep Kumar
Дата:
Hi,

>This codepath would only be reached if the buildsystem determined that memset_s
>was available so something is fairly wrong here.  Did you change any builfiles
>after running configure?  Re-install or upgrade XCode after running configure?

I didn't touch any of the buildfiles , even didn't touch the PG's source code and didn't reinstall or upgrade Xcode. Just configure the PG and gave 'make' and I got this error.

>memset_s and memset have the same prototype, and are functionally equivalent,
>but memset_s have certain properties which are required in this codepath.

Ok

Thanks and regards

On Tue, May 28, 2024 at 11:52 AM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
> On 28 May 2024, at 07:37, Pradeep Kumar <spradeepkumar29@gmail.com> wrote:

This requires more information to be shared in order to figure out what could
be happening.

> ```
> explicit_bzero.c:22:9: error: call to undeclared function 'memset_s'; ISO C99 and later do not support implicit function declarations [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
>         (void) memset_s(buf, len, 0, len);
>                ^

This codepath would only be reached if the buildsystem determined that memset_s
was available so something is fairly wrong here.  Did you change any builfiles
after running configure?  Re-install or upgrade XCode after running configure?

> then I changed the function memset_s(buf, len, 0, len) to memset(buf, 0, len) and it's working. need a clarification on this?

memset_s and memset have the same prototype, and are functionally equivalent,
but memset_s have certain properties which are required in this codepath.

--
Daniel Gustafsson

Re: Need clarification on compilation errors in PG 16.2

От
Pradeep Kumar
Дата:
Hi Long,

>In fact, whether the HAVE_MEMSET_S macro is defined determines whether the implementation
>of the explicit_bzero() function calls memset_s() or memset(). This macro is undefined by default
>in pg_config.h, so check to see if your build environment has a HAVE_MEMSET_S macro defined.

Yes it was defined in "pg_config.h"
/* Define to 1 if you have the `memset_s' function. */
#define HAVE_MEMSET_S 1

Thanks

On Tue, May 28, 2024 at 12:27 PM Long Song <songlong88@126.com> wrote:

Hi Pradeep,

At 2024-05-28 12:37:08, "Pradeep Kumar" <spradeepkumar29@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi ,
> While we try to install PG 16.2 from the source code in macbook we getting this following errors
> ```
>
> explicit_bzero.c:22:9: error: call to undeclared function 'memset_s'; ISO C99 and later do not support implicit function declarations [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
>         (void) memset_s(buf, len, 0, len);
>                ^
> explicit_bzero.c:22:9: note: did you mean 'memset'?
> /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX14.2.sdk/usr/include/string.h:74:7: note: 'memset' declared here
> void    memset(void __b, int __c, size_t __len);
>          ^
> 1 error generated.
> make[2]: *** [explicit_bzero.o] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [all-port-recurse] Error 2
> make: *** [all-src-recurse] Error 2
>
> ```
> then I changed the function memset_s(buf, len, 0, len) to memset(buf, 0, len) and it's working. need a clarification on this?
In fact, whether the HAVE_MEMSET_S macro is defined determines whether the implementation
of the explicit_bzero() function calls memset_s() or memset(). This macro is undefined by default
in pg_config.h, so check to see if your build environment has a HAVE_MEMSET_S macro defined.

Best Regards,
Long

Re: Need clarification on compilation errors in PG 16.2

Дата:
Pradeep Kumar <spradeepkumar29@gmail.com> writes:
> Yes it was defined in "pg_config.h"
> /* Define to 1 if you have the `memset_s' function. */
> #define HAVE_MEMSET_S 1

That's correct for recent versions of macOS.  I see you are
building against a recent SDK:

/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX14.2.sdk/usr/include/string.h

but I wonder if maybe the actual OS version is back-rev?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Need clarification on compilation errors in PG 16.2

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 28 May 2024, at 22:51, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
> Pradeep Kumar <spradeepkumar29@gmail.com> writes:
>> Yes it was defined in "pg_config.h"
>> /* Define to 1 if you have the `memset_s' function. */
>> #define HAVE_MEMSET_S 1
>
> That's correct for recent versions of macOS.  I see you are
> building against a recent SDK:
>
> /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX14.2.sdk/usr/include/string.h
>
> but I wonder if maybe the actual OS version is back-rev?

Skimming the releases on https://opensource.apple.com/releases/ it seems that
memset_s has been available since Mavericks (10.9) AFAICT.

--
Daniel Gustafsson

Re: Need clarification on compilation errors in PG 16.2

От
Pradeep Kumar
Дата:
Hello Tom,

>That's correct for recent versions of macOS.  I see you are
>building against a recent SDK:
>
>/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX14.2.sdk/usr/include/string.h
>
>but I wonder if maybe the actual OS version is back-rev?

Currently Im using "MacOSX14.4.sdk" , path is "/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX14.4.sdk/usr/include/string.h". When I go through the header file and search for the memset_s(), I found that library is defined in a conditional macro refer below, am I breaking the macro below?

#if defined(__STDC_WANT_LIB_EXT1__) && __STDC_WANT_LIB_EXT1__ >= 1
#include <sys/_types/_rsize_t.h>
#include <sys/_types/_errno_t.h>

__BEGIN_DECLS
errno_t memset_s(void *__s, rsize_t __smax, int __c, rsize_t __n) __OSX_AVAILABLE_STARTING(__MAC_10_9, __IPHONE_7_0);
__END_DECLS
#endif

Thanks and Regards
Pradeep

On Wed, May 29, 2024 at 2:21 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Pradeep Kumar <spradeepkumar29@gmail.com> writes:
> Yes it was defined in "pg_config.h"
> /* Define to 1 if you have the `memset_s' function. */
> #define HAVE_MEMSET_S 1

That's correct for recent versions of macOS.  I see you are
building against a recent SDK:

/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX14.2.sdk/usr/include/string.h

but I wonder if maybe the actual OS version is back-rev?

                        regards, tom lane

Re: Need clarification on compilation errors in PG 16.2

От
Pradeep Kumar
Дата:
Hi,

I found out that for using memset() library is not referred from "/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX14.4.sdk/usr/include/string.h" , it referred from "/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX14.4.sdk/usr/include/secure/_string.h", in that file didn't defined the memset_s() macro.

Thanks and regards
Pradeep

Hello Tom,