Re: Things I don't like about \du's "Attributes" column

От Pavel Luzanov
Тема Re: Things I don't like about \du's "Attributes" column
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 10.06.2024 09:25, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
I guess that in English, when written as "'Login' = 'yes/no'", it can
be easily understood. However, in Japanese, "'ログイン' = 'はい/いいえ'"
looks somewhat awkward and is a bit difficult to understand at a
glance. "'ログイン' = '可/不可'" (equivalent to "Login is
'can/cannot'") sounds more natural in Japanese, but it was rejected
upthread, and I also don't like 'can/cannot'. To give further
candidates, "allowed/not allowed" or "granted/denied" can be
mentioned, and they would be easier to translate, at least to
Japanese. However, is there a higher likelihood that 'granted/denied'
will be misunderstood as referring to database permissions?
Thank you for looking into this, translation is important.

What do you think about the following options?

1. Try to find a more appropriate name for the column.
Maybe "Can login?" is better suited for yes/no and Japanese translation?

2. Show the value only for true, for example "Granted" as you suggested.
Do not show the "false" value at all. This will be consistent
with the "Attributes" column, which shows only enabled values.

I would prefer the first option and look for the best name for the column.
The second option can also be implemented if we сhoose a value for 'true'.

BTW, I went through all the \d* commands and looked at how columns with
logical values are displayed. There are two approaches: yes/no and t/f.

yes/no
\dAc "Default?"
\dc "Default?"
\dC "Implicit?"
\dO "Deterministic?"

t/f
\dL "Trusted", "Internal language"
\dRp "All tables", "Inserts" "Updates" "Deletes" "Truncates" "Via root"
\dRs "Enabled", "Binary", "Disable on error", "Password required", "Run as owner?", "Failover"

Likewise, "'Valid until' = 'infinity'" (equivalent to "'有効期限' = '
無限'") also sounds awkward. Maybe that's the same in English. I guess
that 'unbounded' or 'indefinite' sounds better, and their Japanese
translation '無期限' also sounds natural. However, I'm not sure we
want to go to that extent in transforming the table.
'infinity' is the value in the table as any other dates.
As far as I understand, it is not translatable.
So you'll see '有効期限' = 'infinity'.

But this can be implemented using the following expression:

       case when rolvaliduntil = 'infinity' or rolvaliduntil is null then         'unbounded' -- translatable value       else         rolvaliduntil::pg_catalog.text       end

Or we can hide 'infinity':
       case when rolvaliduntil = 'infinity' then         null       else         rolvaliduntil       end

This is a little bit better, but I don't like both.
We will not be able to distinguish between null and infinity
values in the table.

After all, I think 'infinity' is a rare case for "Valid until".
What is the reason to set 'Valid until' = 'infinity' if the password
is unlimited by default?

Therefore, my opinion here is to leave "infinity" as is, but I am open
to better alternatives.

--
Pavel Luzanov
Postgres Professional: https://postgrespro.com

От: Alexander Korotkov
Сообщение: Re: RFC: adding pytest as a supported test framework
От: Mark Hill
Сообщение: ODBC Source Downloads Missing