Re: Things I don't like about \du's "Attributes" column

От Kyotaro Horiguchi
Тема Re: Things I don't like about \du's "Attributes" column
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
At Sat, 8 Jun 2024 14:09:11 -0400, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote in
> On Sat, Jun 8, 2024 at 10:02 AM Pavel Luzanov <p.luzanov@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
> > Therefore, I think the current patch offers a better version of the \du command.
> > However, I admit that these improvements are not enough to accept the patch.
> > I would like to hear other opinions.
>
> Hmm, I don't think I quite agree with this. If people like this
> version better than what we have now, that's all we need to accept the
> patch. I just don't really want to be the one to decide all by myself
> whether this is, in fact, better. So, like you, I would like to hear
> other opinions.

>  regress_du_role0 | yes   | Inherit     | Tue Jun 04 00:00:00 2024 PDT |                0 |
>  regress_du_role1 | no    | Create role+| infinity                     |                  |

I guess that in English, when written as "'Login' = 'yes/no'", it can
be easily understood. However, in Japanese, "'ログイン' = 'はい/いいえ'"
looks somewhat awkward and is a bit difficult to understand at a
glance. "'ログイン' = '可/不可'" (equivalent to "Login is
'can/cannot'") sounds more natural in Japanese, but it was rejected
upthread, and I also don't like 'can/cannot'. To give further
candidates, "allowed/not allowed" or "granted/denied" can be
mentioned, and they would be easier to translate, at least to
Japanese. However, is there a higher likelihood that 'granted/denied'
will be misunderstood as referring to database permissions?

Likewise, "'Valid until' = 'infinity'" (equivalent to "'有効期限' = '
無限'") also sounds awkward. Maybe that's the same in English. I guess
that 'unbounded' or 'indefinite' sounds better, and their Japanese
translation '無期限' also sounds natural. However, I'm not sure we
want to go to that extent in transforming the table.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center

От: Masahiko Sawada
Сообщение: Re: Logical Replication of sequences
От: Bertrand Drouvot
Сообщение: Re: Test slots invalidations in 035_standby_logical_decoding.pl only if dead rows are removed