Re: Missing link in Developer FAQ

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Missing link in Developer FAQ
Дата
Список pgsql-www
Excerpts from Magnus Hagander's message of jue ago 23 06:34:53 -0400 2012:
> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 5:38 PM, Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> I'm pretty sure that's what we decided when migrating to the new
> website, so it was dropped intentionally. But I can't actually find a
> reference to the discussion.
>
> I think one thing discussed was that the source tree is really a bad
> place to store it. The entire contents, including images, should
> probably be migrated to the wiki instead. *or* to the "website
> proper", but in that case in the actual website SCM, not in the
> postgresql.git one.

That's what I said four years ago.  People weren't excited about that
idea because "there would be no way for it to be in sync with each
different release, only HEAD".  I think it's time to let go of that
thought and move it to the wiki or website, where we would (try to)
ensure that it documents the current development version.  There doesn't
seem to be any point to keeping multiple versions of it; would-be
developers (the intended audience) are all trying to understand *that*
version, after all, not the previous ones.

> Also, it took almost a year for anybody to notice that they weren't
> there, so they're clearly not used very much.

I think it's not visible enough.  We have plenty of new people trying to
understand the PG innards all the time that it remains a useful
resource.

That's my opinion anyway.

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

От: Magnus Hagander
Сообщение: Re: Missing link in Developer FAQ
От: Josh Berkus
Сообщение: SSH keys wiped out?