Re: BUG #18240: Undefined behaviour in cash_mul_flt8() and friends

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: BUG #18240: Undefined behaviour in cash_mul_flt8() and friends
Дата
Re: BUG #18240: Undefined behaviour in cash_mul_flt8() and friends  (Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at>)
Список pgsql-bugs
"Jonathan S. Katz" <jkatz@postgresql.org> writes:
> I'm of the strong opinion that we should get rid of money. I personally
> haven't encountered it in the wild -- I'm sure it's there, but it seems
> limited -- and most apps that seriously deal with money will either user
> either "numeric" or an integer-based type.

Yeah, maybe we should just do it.  I was pleasantly surprised by how
little push-back we got from nuking the 32-bit datetime types a few
releases ago; perhaps this one would likewise not have much of a
constituency.

> I am sensitive to the upgrade piece, as we don't want someone relying on
> that behavior to be indefinitely stuck. But perhaps part of the
> deprecation plan is to just keep the casts around[1] for a few releases,
> without exposing the type, and prevent new creations of the type?

I don't really see a way to do that, especially not if we don't want
to put a large amount of effort into it.  We can certainly make
pg_upgrade reject "money" columns, and tell people they need to
rewrite those before they upgrade not after.

От: "Jonathan S. Katz"
Сообщение: Re: BUG #18240: Undefined behaviour in cash_mul_flt8() and friends
От: Alexander Korotkov
Сообщение: Re: BUG #18187: Unexpected error: "variable not found in subplan target lists" triggered by JOIN