Re: Let's Do the CoC Right

От Rajeev Bhatta
Тема Re: Let's Do the CoC Right
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Jan 22, 2016 23:00, "David E. Wheeler" <david@justatheory.com> wrote:

> On Jan 22, 2016, at 9:25 AM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
>
> >> It excludes people who don’t participate in the list because of issues they’ve had there in the past.
> >
> > When and whom? This is the time for those that had issues to speak up either directly or through someone else. In
doingso though I would expect verifiable information.

> So here we have a chicken-and-egg issue. If there is no CoC (or an insufficient one), then people who have been hurt
inthe past don’t want to participate. You need the security of a CoC before it’s safe to come back. It is not up to
themto prove themselves to you, to verify that they have suffered just for some sort of confirmation for you.

It is unfortunate that someone was hurt and had to stop participating.. However the purpose of the CoC is to ensure the
samesituation does not repeat itself. For this I do not think anyone should convince anyone who has left rather build
anenvironment so that current and new contributors are comfortable and do not find a hostile community .. If the people
wholeft were passionate enough to the success of the project then the information on an inclusion of an CoC would reach
themand they can join back...

Any process or change is perfected over course of time.. The current CoC may not be perfect but time will make it.

> The way to involve a broader audience is to solicit feedback from outside the immediate confines of a single mail
list.Or even the community itself. People have left the community because of issues; how do you get their help fixing
thethings over which they left?

Ideas can be solicited from other groups but CoC should be created and enforced by our community alone...

> BTW, I am one of those “through someone else” people of which you speak.

I am sorry to hear that... The fact that you are raising your opinion shows your passion for postgres project which is
veryappreciated and I hope if there are others they should be back and see that there is an effort to minimize the ill
treatmentthey had to suffer.