Re: Hijack!

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Hijack!
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 10:03:39 -0700
"Gregory Williamson" <Gregory.Williamson@digitalglobe.com> wrote:

> > However, I would also note that in "windows" world, it is very
> > common to top post. I am constantly retraining very smart, just
> > very ignorant customers.
>
> * Not all mail clients deal well with inline/bottom quoting (manually
> added "> " to lines here since my mail reader does not do so
> automatically -- imagine doing so for a complex quote!)

Get a client that works? :)

> * Top posting is very common in companies with lots of blackberry
> (etc) users since they seem to see only tops easily.

Uhmm yuck. O.k. you have a point here but still , yuck.

> * my mail client *always* starts at the top of the message. For

I have yet to see a client where that is not configurable.

> * a lot of us have to use what ever the company provides as mail
> server. Exchange sucks but I'd rather not quit my job just because
> _you_ have a problem reading mail that does not conform to the "T" to

Which is 100% fair. I would prefer you keep your job and work on
convincing your company to get a clue :P. However... it isn't

_me_ that has a problem reading your email.

It is the _majority_ (by far) of the community that has  a problem
reading your email.

If it was just me, I would tell you to tell me to go jump a fish.

> * Try to see the world from a perspective other that your own
> (admittedly superior) one ! Not everyone is so advanced.

Please see my remark about community :). This really isn't about me. It
is about generally accepted community practice.

> * Get a life -- how people post is _trivial_. *content* over *form* !

If I can't follow the content without effort, the form is utterly
important. Or do you feel ebonics is valid as well?

Just like code, the structure of content is of utmost
importance to convey your meaning. If I have to bounce all over an
email to figure out what you are having issues with, I will likely
ignore that email. As will a great many of the most qualified people
that are here to help you.

> And for those who really care, email etiquette in painful detail here
> <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855>. Hijacking seems to be more of a
> Bozo No-No than top posting. Or maybe that's just me.

Oh certainly Hi-jacking is bad as well.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

- --
The PostgreSQL Company: Since 1997, http://www.commandprompt.com/
SELECT 'Training', 'Consulting' FROM vendor WHERE name = 'CMD'