Re: Hijack!

От Gregory Williamson
Тема Re: Hijack!
Дата
Re: Hijack!  (Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com>)
Re: Hijack!  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
Re: Hijack!  (Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>)
Re: Hijack!  ("Obe, Regina" <robe.dnd@cityofboston.gov>)
Re: Hijack!  (Guy Rouillier <guyr-ml1@burntmail.com>)
Re: Hijack!  (Lew <lew@lwsc.ehost-services.com>)
Список pgsql-general

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org on behalf of Joshua D. Drake
Sent: Tue 12/11/2007 9:43 AM
To: rod@iol.ie
Cc: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Hijack!

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 16:31:40 +0000
"Raymond O'Donnell" <rod@iol.ie> wrote:

> > // >>>>
> > Please note in particular the following points of netiquette:
> >
> > * Don't top-post, as it makes for confusing reading.
> >
> > * Don't start a new thread by replying to an old one, because [insert
> > suitable technical explanation here].
> >
> > Failure to observe the above may result in your question going
> > unanswered. // <<<<<
>

> O.k. this might be a bit snooty but frankly it is almost 2008. If you
> are still a top poster, you obviously don't care about the people's
> content that you are replying to, to have enough wits to not top post.
>
> However, I would also note that in "windows" world, it is very common
> to top post. I am constantly retraining very smart, just very ignorant
> customers.

* Not all mail clients deal well with inline/bottom quoting (manually added "> " to lines here since my mail reader does not do so automatically -- imagine doing so for a complex quote!)

* Top posting is very common in companies with lots of blackberry (etc) users since they seem to see only tops easily.

* my mail client *always* starts at the top of the message. For rapid/internal mails top posting works better because the answer/most recent is always at the top. Complex messages do deserve in-posting but not always easy, especially if you have to do it manually). Does your mail browser always start at the bottom ? I always see the top of a message first. Simple threads work very well this way -- complicated ones collapse under top-posting.

* a lot of us have to use what ever the company provides as mail server. Exchange sucks but I'd rather not quit my job just because _you_ have a problem reading mail that does not conform to the "T" to your expectations. And there is a limit to how much time I want to spend manually formatting your mail to respond to it. Note that a lot of postGIS mail list posts are top-posted and the complaint rate is vanishingly small. Yet somehow business clanks on. Imagine that! And I can't even use exchange/outlook -- web interface to Micro$soft really sucks.

* Try to see the world from a perspective other that your own (admittedly superior) one ! Not everyone is so advanced.

* Get a life -- how people post is _trivial_. *content* over *form* ! Beating dead horses is of no interest other than the inherent joy in the thing. Deal with the fact that an open mail ist will have users from *all* backgrounds and origins and it you can't make everything a fight. Pick the most important battles. Top-posting is not the worst sin. (not reading the manuals is the by the worst transgression, IMHO).

And for those who really care, email etiquette in painful detail here <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855>. Hijacking seems to be more of a Bozo No-No than top posting. Or maybe that's just me.

Greg Williamson
Senior DBA
GlobeXplorer LLC, a DigitalGlobe company

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information and must be protected in accordance with those provisions. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

(My corporate masters made me say this.)

От: "Joshua D. Drake"
Сообщение: Re: psql batch file question
От: "William Temperley"
Сообщение: Re: Ignored btree indexes on particular tables.