Re: Describing Postgres as "object-relational" on the home page

От Karl O. Pinc
Тема Re: Describing Postgres as "object-relational" on the home page
Дата
Список pgsql-www
To keep it simple:

  PostgreSQL is a powerful, open source, extendable,
  relational database.  It has over 35 years of active
  development that has earned it a strong reputation for
  reliability, feature robustness, and performance.

(I like multiple, shorter, sentences.  And advocate for
putting the information which is to be most memorable
at the end of sentences and paragraphs.)

On Thu, 28 Dec 2023 09:20:39 +0700
Benjamin Scherrey <scherrey@proteus-tech.com> wrote:

> Postgres is a fully-relational (in that it simultaneously adheres to
> all of Codd's rules - something surprisingly rare) multi-paradigm
> database. It is multi-paradigm because it is also simultaneously a
> native object database and document database (JSONB support better
> than MongoDB), plus has ready extensions to be a first class Geodesic
> Database and Vector Database (ala AI) amongst others.

> Note that all this extensibility is made achievable a great deal
> because it *is* underneath it all an Object Database. But I agree
> that we could use better marketing language to express the full
> potential of this remarkable open source project.

I like the idea of showing more of what PG can do:

  PostgreSQL is a powerful, open source, extendable,
  relational database.  It is also, or has third-party
  extensions to become, an object-relational, document/NoSQL,
  temporal, spatial and geodesic, or vector database.
  PostgreSQL has over 35 years of active development that
  has earned it a strong reputation for reliability, feature
  robustness, and performance.

Attached is a tar file of the home page (+CSS, etc.,
as firefox saves it) with the above change, with new
hyperlinks.  So you can (sorta) see what it looks like.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relational_database
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object%E2%80%93relational_database
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nosql
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Temporal_Extensions
https://postgis.net
https://www.enterprisedb.com/blog/what-is-pgvector

I don't know that off-site links to the various db type names
is home-page-appropriate but it might help the beginner.
I added hyperlinks to (sorta) simple descriptions
of the various db types.  I tried to stick with wikipedia
but went to postgis.net and the pg wiki too.  I couldn't
find anything on these go-to sites for pg_vector that has
a simple overview describing the uses of a vector db,
so settled on a commercial link. (Alternately, the
wikipedia or wiki.postgresql.org vector database article
could be given a better lead.  Or a patch sent to pg_vector
that gives the README.md a non-technical "for what?".)

It would be nice to link to pg_vector, as with the links
to the other 3rd-party extensions, but I find it's home
page too technical for the average person looking to find
out what vector databases are for.

There is room, at least the way my browser window opens,
for the extra text so that the layout does not change.

Regards,

Karl <kop@karlpinc.com>
                 -- Robert A. Heinlein

Вложения

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

От: Benjamin Scherrey
Сообщение: Re: Describing Postgres as "object-relational" on the home page
От: "Jonathan S. Katz"
Сообщение: Re: Describing Postgres as "object-relational" on the home page