Re: Describing Postgres as "object-relational" on the home page

От Jonathan S. Katz
Тема Re: Describing Postgres as "object-relational" on the home page
Дата
Список pgsql-www
On 12/27/23 5:21 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 12/27/23 13:53, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:

>>> "extensible relational database" works for me.
>>
>> Reading [1], I can align with dropping "object-" from the text.
>>
>> Currently -1 on swapping it with "extensible", given most folks
>> describe PostgreSQL as a relational database.
>>
>> That said, I do personally describe one of PostgreSQL's best
>> attributes to be its "extensibility," so I could warm up to
>> incorporating it into "official verbiage" in the coming days.
>
> Reading this I got a vision of a cat in a box:) At some point the state
> has to resolve. Are you indicating that "extensible relational database"
> is acceptable to you?

There is a Schrödinger element here. I agree that "extensible relational
database" does accurately describe PostgreSQL, but I'm hesitant to
change the official language (outside of dropping "object") without
thinking more about it. I don't think we necessarily need to rush adding
another word without testing it a bit more.

Jonathan

Вложения

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

От: "Karl O. Pinc"
Сообщение: Re: Describing Postgres as "object-relational" on the home page
От: "Jonathan S. Katz"
Сообщение: Re: Describing Postgres as "object-relational" on the home page