Re: Describing Postgres as "object-relational" on the home page

От Karl O. Pinc
Тема Re: Describing Postgres as "object-relational" on the home page
Дата
Список pgsql-www
This email contains nothing really new.  Feel free to skip it
if you've little interest in a word cloud.

Attached is a corrected CSV file, with "table inheritance"
duplicates removed.  (It is only an example data set, but
the duplicates confused things.)

On Mon, 1 Jan 2024 14:15:16 -0600
"Karl O. Pinc" <kop@karlpinc.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Jan 2024 13:44:59 -0600
> "Karl O. Pinc" <kop@karlpinc.com> wrote:
>
> > Categorizing the keywords by attaching one or more tags to each
> > opens up possibilities for interaction and alternate ways to view
> > the keywords.
>
> -- A back of the envelope schema for tagged technology keywords
>
> CREATE TABLE keywords (
> keyword TEXT PRIMARY KEY,
> url TEXT,
> cantag BOOLEAN);
>
> CREATE TABLE taggings (
> tag TEXT REFERENCES keywords,
> keyword TEXT REFERENCES keywords);
>
> -- And a trigger is needed to ensure that taggings.tag
> -- is related to a keywords row having a keywords.cantag value of
> true.

Except that I'd allow/require a row in TAGGINGS for every row in
KEYWORDS, and the Tag and Keyword columns would contain the same
value.  That way TAGGINGS will always inner join with KEYWORDS.

FWIW, here's a list of the 12 tags (aka categories) of my example:

AI
atomicity
auditing
concurrency
database types
data integrity
high availability
high performance
interfaces
object-relational
security
SQL standards

Produced by:

ut -d , -f 2 pg_keywords.csv | sort | awk 'BEGIN {last="";}; {if ($0 == last && last != "") print $0; else last = $0};'
|sort -u

The list of tags, and keywords, is what I feel like is missing from the
pgxn.org site's interface.  (In their case it's not keywords, but
extensions, that are categorized.  They do allow a search-by-typing
rather than having to find the category in the word cloud and click on
it.)  It could also be nice if the user was able to omit tags from the
word cloud so that words taking up lots of space can be omitted to
make room for other words.

I am drawn to the idea of being able to search, explain, visualize, and
link directly into, the PostgreSQL ecosystem writ-large.

The tricky work is likely in choosing the links of the keywords.  I
would think that a lot of them ("SQL", "SQL standards", "transactions")
have a place already in the documentation.  But a lot would go off-site,
or at least I'd think so because the pg wiki does not presently
have enough content and probably shouldn't describe, say,
exactly what "object-relational" means.

(Humm.  One of the temporal extensions would really allow this feature
to support wiki-like history and rollback capabilities.
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Temporal_Extensions
)

Regards,

Karl <kop@karlpinc.com>
                 -- Robert A. Heinlein

Вложения

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

От: "Karl O. Pinc"
Сообщение: Re: Describing Postgres as "object-relational" on the home page
От: Adrian Klaver
Сообщение: Re: Describing Postgres as "object-relational" on the home page