Re: Describing Postgres as "object-relational" on the home page

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Describing Postgres as "object-relational" on the home page
Дата
Список pgsql-www
On 1/1/24 11:44, Karl O. Pinc wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Dec 2023 14:40:49 -0500
> "Jonathan S. Katz" <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:

>> I don't really follow what you're suggesting here.
>
> The suggestion here is to first, change the "object-relational" sentence
> as has been discussed.  (Then, tl,dr; use a interactive "word cloud")
> But instead of coming up with wording describing functionality,
> workloads, etc., to simply say "PostgrSQL does lots more stuff." on
> the home page and link that to a page with nothing but keywords.
> The keywords can be linked to descriptions or project pages,
> or not.
>
> That way nobody has to write sentences, and more importantly, nobody
> has to maintain much when there's a new hot technology or
> figure out what's important enough to put on the home page.  Just add
> a new keyword to the keywords page.  (Especially labor free if
> the keyword page is a pg wiki page.)
>
> To extend this idea, just a list of keywords is not engaging.
> Categorizing the keywords by attaching one or more tags to each opens
> up possibilities for interaction and alternate ways to view the
> keywords.  In particular the user can find keywords by tag and so
> keywords need not be categorized in a fixed fashion.
> This would likely only be interesting if the keywords were linked to
> somewhere so that after getting a relevant set of keywords
> the reader could follow the links to find information or tools.

Please no, this is just another version of word salad.

> In addition to tabular views, the https://pgxn.org sort of view,
> a "word cloud", provides a useful overview.  In this presentation all
> tags are displayed on a single page but the visual presentation
> emphasizes those tags that are more important (e.g., occur
> with more frequency) by displaying them in a larger font.
> In this view, clicking on any tag shows its associated keywords
> to facilitate exploration.
> (From an implementation perspective it might be simplest if each
> keyword was also a tag, so that there's no need to make a distinction
> between tags and keywords when searching.)

I actually find that visually distracting and more to the point not that
useful. When I go to a site I am looking for something that will scratch
my itch, not what is popular. A search box and a table of contents
generally is all I need.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

От: "Karl O. Pinc"
Сообщение: Re: Describing Postgres as "object-relational" on the home page
От: "Karl O. Pinc"
Сообщение: Re: Describing Postgres as "object-relational" on the home page