Re: Extension Enhancement: Buffer Invalidation in pg_buffercache

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Extension Enhancement: Buffer Invalidation in pg_buffercache
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2024-04-07 11:07:58 +1200, Thomas Munro wrote:
> I thought of a better name for the bufmgr.c function though:
> InvalidateUnpinnedBuffer().  That name seemed better to me after I
> festooned it with warnings about why exactly it's inherently racy and
> only for testing use.

I still dislike that, fwiw, due to the naming similarity to
InvalidateBuffer(), which throws away dirty buffer contents too. Which
obviously isn't acceptable from "userspace".  I'd just name it
pg_buffercache_evict() - given that the commit message's first paragraph uses
"it is useful to be able to evict arbitrary blocks" that seems to describe
things at least as well as "invalidate"?

Greetings,

Andres Freund

От: Melanie Plageman
Сообщение: Re: Extension Enhancement: Buffer Invalidation in pg_buffercache
От: Justin Pryzby
Сообщение: Re: POC, WIP: OR-clause support for indexes