Обсуждение: Extension Enhancement: Buffer Invalidation in pg_buffercache

Extension Enhancement: Buffer Invalidation in pg_buffercache

От
Palak Chaturvedi
Дата:
I hope this email finds you well. I am excited to share that I have
extended the functionality of the `pg_buffercache` extension by
implementing buffer invalidation capability, as requested by some
PostgreSQL contributors for improved testing scenarios.

This marks my first time submitting a patch to pgsql-hackers, and I am
eager to receive your expert feedback on the changes made. Your
insights are invaluable, and any review or comments you provide will
be greatly appreciated.

The primary objective of this enhancement is to enable explicit buffer
invalidation within the `pg_buffercache` extension. By doing so, we
can simulate scenarios where buffers are invalidated and observe the
resulting behavior in PostgreSQL.

As part of this patch, a new function or mechanism has been introduced
to facilitate buffer invalidation. I would like to hear your thoughts
on whether this approach provides a good user interface for this
functionality. Additionally, I seek your evaluation of the buffer
locking protocol employed in the extension to ensure its correctness
and efficiency.

Please note that I plan to add comprehensive documentation once the
details of this enhancement are agreed upon. This documentation will
serve as a valuable resource for users and contributors alike. I
believe that your expertise will help uncover any potential issues and
opportunities for further improvement.

I have attached the patch file to this email for your convenience.
Your valuable time and consideration in reviewing this extension are
sincerely appreciated.

Thank you for your continued support and guidance. I am looking
forward to your feedback and collaboration in enhancing the PostgreSQL
ecosystem.

The working of the extension:

1. Creating the extension pg_buffercache and then call select query on
a table and note the buffer to be cleared.
pgbench=# create extension pg_buffercache;
CREATE EXTENSION
pgbench=# select count(*) from pgbench_accounts;
 count
--------
 100000
(1 row)

pgbench=# SELECT *
FROM pg_buffercache
WHERE relfilenode = pg_relation_filenode('pgbench_accounts'::regclass);
 bufferid | relfilenode | reltablespace | reldatabase | relforknumber
| relblocknumber | isdirty | usagecount | pinning_backends

----------+-------------+---------------+-------------+---------------+----------------+---------+------------+------------------
      233 |       16397 |          1663 |       16384 |             0
|              0 | f       |          1 |                0
      234 |       16397 |          1663 |       16384 |             0
|              1 | f       |          1 |                0
      235 |       16397 |          1663 |       16384 |             0
|              2 | f       |          1 |                0
      236 |       16397 |          1663 |       16384 |             0
|              3 | f       |          1 |                0
      237 |       16397 |          1663 |       16384 |             0
|              4 | f       |          1 |                0

2. Clearing a single buffer by entering the bufferid.
pgbench=# SELECT count(*)
FROM pg_buffercache
WHERE relfilenode = pg_relation_filenode('pgbench_accounts'::regclass);
 count
-------
  1660
(1 row)

pgbench=# select pg_buffercache_invalidate(233);
 pg_buffercache_invalidate
---------------------------
(1 row)

pgbench=# SELECT count(*)
FROM pg_buffercache
WHERE relfilenode = pg_relation_filenode('pgbench_accounts'::regclass);
 count
-------
  1659
(1 row)

3. Clearing the entire buffer for a relation using the function.
pgbench=# SELECT count(*)
FROM pg_buffercache
WHERE relfilenode = pg_relation_filenode('pgbench_accounts'::regclass);
 count
-------
  1659
(1 row)

pgbench=# select count(pg_buffercache_invalidate(bufferid)) from
pg_buffercache where relfilenode =
pg_relation_filenode('pgbench_accounts'::regclass);
 count
-------
  1659
(1 row)

pgbench=# SELECT count(*)
FROM pg_buffercache
WHERE relfilenode = pg_relation_filenode('pgbench_accounts'::regclass);
 count
-------
     0
(1 row)

Best regards,
Palak

Вложения

Re: Extension Enhancement: Buffer Invalidation in pg_buffercache

От
Thomas Munro
Дата:
On Fri, Jun 30, 2023 at 10:47 PM Palak Chaturvedi
<chaturvedipalak1911@gmail.com> wrote:
> pgbench=# select count(pg_buffercache_invalidate(bufferid)) from
> pg_buffercache where relfilenode =
> pg_relation_filenode('pgbench_accounts'::regclass);

Hi Palak,

Thanks for working on this!  I think this will be very useful for
testing existing workloads but also for testing future work on
prefetching with AIO (and DIO), work on putting SLRUs (or anything
else) into the buffer pool, nearby proposals for caching buffer
mapping information, etc etc.

Palak and I talked about this idea a bit last week (stimulated by a
recent thread[1], but the topic has certainly come up before), and we
discussed some different ways one could specify which pages are
dropped.  For example, perhaps the pg_prewarm extension could have an
'unwarm' option instead.  I personally thought the buffer ID-based
approach was quite good because it's extremely simple, while giving
the user the full power of SQL to say which buffers.   Half a table?
Visibility map?  Everything?  Root page of an index?  I think that's
probably better than something that requires more code and
complication but is less flexible in the end.  It feels like the right
level of rawness for something primarily of interest to hackers and
advanced users.  I don't think it matters that there is a window
between selecting a buffer ID and invalidating it, for the intended
use cases.  That's my vote, anyway, let's see if others have other
ideas...

We also talked a bit about how one might control the kernel page cache
in more fine-grained ways for testing purposes, but it seems like the
pgfincore project has that covered with its pgfadvise_willneed() and
pgfadvise_dontneed().  IMHO that project could use more page-oriented
operations (instead of just counts and coarse grains operations) but
that's something that could be material for patches to send to the
extension maintainers.  This work, in contrast, is more tangled up
with bufmgr.c internals, so it feels like this feature belongs in a
core contrib module.

Some initial thoughts on the patch:

I wonder if we should include a simple exercise in
contrib/pg_buffercache/sql/pg_buffercache.sql.  One problem is that
it's not guaranteed to succeed in general.  It doesn't wait for pins
to go away, and it doesn't retry cleaning dirty buffers after one
attempt, it just returns false, which I think is probably the right
approach, but it makes the behaviour too non-deterministic for simple
tests.  Perhaps it's enough to include an exercise where we call it a
few times to hit a couple of cases, but not verify what effect it has.

It should be restricted by role, but I wonder which role it should be.
Testing for superuser is now out of fashion.

Where the Makefile mentions 1.4--1.5.sql, the meson.build file needs
to do the same.  That's because PostgreSQL is currently in transition
from autoconf/gmake to meson/ninja[2], so for now we have to maintain
both build systems.  That's why it fails to build in some CI tasks[3].
You can enable CI in your own GitHub account if you want to run test
builds on several operating systems, see [4] for info.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAFSGpE3y_oMK1uHhcHxGxBxs%2BKrjMMdGrE%2B6HHOu0vttVET0UQ%40mail.gmail.com
[2] https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Meson
[3] http://cfbot.cputube.org/palak-chaturvedi.html
[4] https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=blob_plain;f=src/tools/ci/README;hb=HEAD

Re: Extension Enhancement: Buffer Invalidation in pg_buffercache

От
Palak Chaturvedi
Дата:
Hi Thomas,
Thank you for your suggestions. I have added the sql in the meson
build as well.

On Sat, 1 Jul 2023 at 03:39, Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Where the Makefile mentions 1.4--1.5.sql, the meson.build file needs
> to do the same.  That's because PostgreSQL is currently in transition
> from autoconf/gmake to meson/ninja[2], so for now we have to maintain
> both build systems.  That's why it fails to build in some CI tasks[3].
> You can enable CI in your own GitHub account if you want to run test
> builds on several operating systems, see [4] for info.
>
> [1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAFSGpE3y_oMK1uHhcHxGxBxs%2BKrjMMdGrE%2B6HHOu0vttVET0UQ%40mail.gmail.com
> [2] https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Meson
> [3] http://cfbot.cputube.org/palak-chaturvedi.html
> [4] https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=blob_plain;f=src/tools/ci/README;hb=HEAD

Вложения

Re: Extension Enhancement: Buffer Invalidation in pg_buffercache

jian he
Дата:
On Mon, Jul 3, 2023 at 4:26 PM Palak Chaturvedi
> [...]
> > to go away, and it doesn't retry cleaning dirty buffers after one
> > attempt, it just returns false, which I think is probably the right
> > approach, but it makes the behaviour too non-deterministic for simple
> > tests.  Perhaps it's enough to include an exercise where we call it a
> > few times to hit a couple of cases, but not verify what effect it has.
> >
> > It should be restricted by role, but I wonder which role it should be.
> > Testing for superuser is now out of fashion.
> >
> > Where the Makefile mentions 1.4--1.5.sql, the meson.build file needs
> > to do the same.  That's because PostgreSQL is currently in transition
> > from autoconf/gmake to meson/ninja[2], so for now we have to maintain
> > both build systems.  That's why it fails to build in some CI tasks[3].
> > You can enable CI in your own GitHub account if you want to run test
> > builds on several operating systems, see [4] for info.

newbie question:
quote from: https://www.interdb.jp/pg/pgsql08.html

> Pinned: When the corresponding buffer pool slot stores a page and any PostgreSQL processes are accessing the page
(i.e.refcount and usage_count are greater than or equal to 1), the state of this buffer descriptor is pinned.
> Unpinned: When the corresponding buffer pool slot stores a page but no PostgreSQL processes are accessing the page
(i.e.usage_count is greater than or equal to 1, but refcount is 0), the state of this buffer descriptor is unpinned.

So do you need to check BUF_STATE_GET_REFCOUNT(buf_state) and
BUF_STATE_GET_USAGECOUNT(state)?

Re: Extension Enhancement: Buffer Invalidation in pg_buffercache

От
Palak Chaturvedi
Дата:
hi,
I don't think we need to check the usage count. Because we are
clearing all the buffers that are not pinned.
Checking the usage count is for buffer replacement since we are not
replacing it does not matter.
On Mon, 3 Jul 2023 at 21:16, jian he <jian.universality@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > > [3] http://cfbot.cputube.org/palak-chaturvedi.html
> > > [4] https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=blob_plain;f=src/tools/ci/README;hb=HEAD
>
> newbie question:
> quote from: https://www.interdb.jp/pg/pgsql08.html
> >
> > Pinned: When the corresponding buffer pool slot stores a page and any PostgreSQL processes are accessing the page
(i.e.refcount and usage_count are greater than or equal to 1), the state of this buffer descriptor is pinned.
> > Unpinned: When the corresponding buffer pool slot stores a page but no PostgreSQL processes are accessing the page
(i.e.usage_count is greater than or equal to 1, but refcount is 0), the state of this buffer descriptor is unpinned.

> So do you need to check BUF_STATE_GET_REFCOUNT(buf_state) and
> BUF_STATE_GET_USAGECOUNT(state)?

Re: Extension Enhancement: Buffer Invalidation in pg_buffercache

Japin Li
Дата:
On Mon, 03 Jul 2023 at 16:26, Palak Chaturvedi <chaturvedipalak1911@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> to go away, and it doesn't retry cleaning dirty buffers after one
>> attempt, it just returns false, which I think is probably the right
>> approach, but it makes the behaviour too non-deterministic for simple
>> tests.  Perhaps it's enough to include an exercise where we call it a
>> few times to hit a couple of cases, but not verify what effect it has.
>>
>> It should be restricted by role, but I wonder which role it should be.
>> Testing for superuser is now out of fashion.
>>
>> Where the Makefile mentions 1.4--1.5.sql, the meson.build file needs
>> to do the same.  That's because PostgreSQL is currently in transition
>> from autoconf/gmake to meson/ninja[2], so for now we have to maintain
>> both build systems.  That's why it fails to build in some CI tasks[3].
>> You can enable CI in your own GitHub account if you want to run test
>> builds on several operating systems, see [4] for info.

I think, zero is not a valid buffer identifier. See src/include/storage/buf.h.

+    bufnum = PG_GETARG_INT32(0);
+    if (bufnum < 0 || bufnum > NBuffers)
+    {
+        ereport(ERROR,
+                (errcode(ERRCODE_INVALID_PARAMETER_VALUE),
+                 errmsg("buffernum is not valid")));
+
+    }

If we use SELECT pg_buffercache_invalidate(0), it will crash.

--
Regrads,
Japin Li.

Re: Extension Enhancement: Buffer Invalidation in pg_buffercache

От
jian he

the following will also crash. no idea why.
begin;
    select count(*) from onek;
    select relpages from pg_class where relname = 'onek'; --queryA

    SELECT count(*) FROM pg_buffercache WHERE relfilenode = pg_relation_filenode('onek'::regclass); --queryB

    insert into onek values(default);

    select count(pg_buffercache_invalidate(bufferid)) from
    pg_buffercache where relfilenode = pg_relation_filenode('onek'::regclass);

---------------------------------
queryA returns 35, queryB returns 37.
----------------------------------
crash info:
test_dev=*#     insert into onek values(default);
INSERT 0 1
test_dev=*#     select count(pg_buffercache_invalidate(bufferid)) from
    pg_buffercache where relfilenode = pg_relation_filenode('onek'::regclass);
TRAP: failed Assert("resarr->nitems < resarr->maxitems"), File: "../../Desktop/pg_sources/main/postgres/src/backend/utils/resowner/resowner.c", Line: 275, PID: 1533312
postgres: jian test_dev [local] SELECT(ExceptionalCondition+0xa1)[0x55fc8f8d14e1]
postgres: jian test_dev [local] SELECT(+0x9e7ab3)[0x55fc8f915ab3]
postgres: jian test_dev [local] SELECT(ResourceOwnerRememberBuffer+0x1d)[0x55fc8f91696d]
postgres: jian test_dev [local] SELECT(+0x78ab17)[0x55fc8f6b8b17]
postgres: jian test_dev [local] SELECT(TryInvalidateBuffer+0x6d)[0x55fc8f6c507d]
/home/jian/postgres/pg16_test/lib/pg_buffercache.so(pg_buffercache_invalidate+0x3d)[0x7f2361837abd]
postgres: jian test_dev [local] SELECT(+0x57eebc)[0x55fc8f4acebc]
postgres: jian test_dev [local] SELECT(ExecInterpExprStillValid+0x3c)[0x55fc8f4a6e2c]
postgres: jian test_dev [local] SELECT(+0x5a0f16)[0x55fc8f4cef16]
postgres: jian test_dev [local] SELECT(+0x5a3588)[0x55fc8f4d1588]
postgres: jian test_dev [local] SELECT(+0x58f747)[0x55fc8f4bd747]
postgres: jian test_dev [local] SELECT(standard_ExecutorRun+0x1f0)[0x55fc8f4b29f0]
postgres: jian test_dev [local] SELECT(ExecutorRun+0x46)[0x55fc8f4b2d16]
postgres: jian test_dev [local] SELECT(+0x7eb3b0)[0x55fc8f7193b0]
postgres: jian test_dev [local] SELECT(PortalRun+0x1eb)[0x55fc8f71b7ab]
postgres: jian test_dev [local] SELECT(+0x7e8cf4)[0x55fc8f716cf4]
postgres: jian test_dev [local] SELECT(PostgresMain+0x134f)[0x55fc8f71869f]
postgres: jian test_dev [local] SELECT(+0x70f80c)[0x55fc8f63d80c]
postgres: jian test_dev [local] SELECT(PostmasterMain+0x1758)[0x55fc8f63f278]
postgres: jian test_dev [local] SELECT(main+0x27e)[0x55fc8f27067e]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(+0x29d90)[0x7f2361629d90]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0x80)[0x7f2361629e40]
postgres: jian test_dev [local] SELECT(_start+0x25)[0x55fc8f272bb5]
2023-07-04 16:56:13.088 CST [1532822] LOG:  server process (PID 1533312) was terminated by signal 6: Aborted
2023-07-04 16:56:13.088 CST [1532822] DETAIL:  Failed process was running: select count(pg_buffercache_invalidate(bufferid)) from
            pg_buffercache where relfilenode = pg_relation_filenode('onek'::regclass);
2023-07-04 16:56:13.088 CST [1532822] LOG:  terminating any other active server processes
        before or while processing the request.
The connection to the server was lost. Attempting reset: 2023-07-04 16:56:13.091 CST [1533381] FATAL:  the database system is in recovery mode
Failed.

Re: Extension Enhancement: Buffer Invalidation in pg_buffercache

От
Japin Li
Дата:
On Tue, 04 Jul 2023 at 17:00, jian he <jian.universality@gmail.com> wrote:
> the following will also crash. no idea why.
> begin;
>     select count(*) from onek;
>     select relpages from pg_class where relname = 'onek'; --queryA
>
>     SELECT count(*) FROM pg_buffercache WHERE relfilenode =
> pg_relation_filenode('onek'::regclass); --queryB
>
>     insert into onek values(default);
>
>     select count(pg_buffercache_invalidate(bufferid)) from
>     pg_buffercache where relfilenode =
> pg_relation_filenode('onek'::regclass);
>
> ---------------------------------
> queryA returns 35, queryB returns 37.
> ----------------------------------
> crash info:
> test_dev=*#     insert into onek values(default);
> INSERT 0 1
> test_dev=*#     select count(pg_buffercache_invalidate(bufferid)) from
>     pg_buffercache where relfilenode =
> pg_relation_filenode('onek'::regclass);
> TRAP: failed Assert("resarr->nitems < resarr->maxitems"), File:
> "../../Desktop/pg_sources/main/postgres/src/backend/utils/resowner/resowner.c",
> Line: 275, PID: 1533312

According to the comments of ResourceArrayAdd(), the caller must have previously
done ResourceArrayEnlarge(). I tried to call ResourceOwnerEnlargeBuffers() before
PinBuffer_Locked(), so it can avoid this crash.

        if ((buf_state & BM_DIRTY) == BM_DIRTY)
        {
+            /* make sure we can handle the pin */
+            ResourceOwnerEnlargeBuffers(CurrentResourceOwner);
+
            /*
             * Try once to flush the dirty buffer.
             */
            PinBuffer_Locked(bufHdr);

--
Regrads,
Japin Li.

On Tue, Jul 4, 2023 at 5:45 PM Japin Li <japinli@hotmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, 04 Jul 2023 at 17:00, jian he <jian.universality@gmail.com> wrote:
> the following will also crash. no idea why.
> begin;
>     select count(*) from onek;
>     select relpages from pg_class where relname = 'onek'; --queryA
>
>     SELECT count(*) FROM pg_buffercache WHERE relfilenode =
> pg_relation_filenode('onek'::regclass); --queryB
>
>     insert into onek values(default);
>
>     select count(pg_buffercache_invalidate(bufferid)) from
>     pg_buffercache where relfilenode =
> pg_relation_filenode('onek'::regclass);
>
> ---------------------------------
> queryA returns 35, queryB returns 37.
> ----------------------------------
> crash info:
> test_dev=*#     insert into onek values(default);
> INSERT 0 1
> test_dev=*#     select count(pg_buffercache_invalidate(bufferid)) from
>     pg_buffercache where relfilenode =
> pg_relation_filenode('onek'::regclass);
> TRAP: failed Assert("resarr->nitems < resarr->maxitems"), File:
> "../../Desktop/pg_sources/main/postgres/src/backend/utils/resowner/resowner.c",
> Line: 275, PID: 1533312

According to the comments of ResourceArrayAdd(), the caller must have previously
done ResourceArrayEnlarge(). I tried to call ResourceOwnerEnlargeBuffers() before
PinBuffer_Locked(), so it can avoid this crash.

                if ((buf_state & BM_DIRTY) == BM_DIRTY)
                {
+                       /* make sure we can handle the pin */
+                       ResourceOwnerEnlargeBuffers(CurrentResourceOwner);
+
                        /*
                         * Try once to flush the dirty buffer.
                         */
                        PinBuffer_Locked(bufHdr);

--
Regrads,
Japin Li.

thanks. tested flush pg_catalog, public schema, now, both works as pitched.

On Sat, Jul 1, 2023 at 6:09 AM Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> wrote:

> It should be restricted by role, but I wonder which role it should be.
> Testing for superuser is now out of fashion.

as pg_buffercache/pg_buffercache--1.2--1.3.sql. You need pg_maintain privilege to use pg_buffercache.
The following query works on a single user. Obviously you need a role who can gain pg_monitor privilege.

begin;
create role test login nosuperuser;
grant select, insert on onek to test;
grant pg_monitor to test;
set role test;
select count(*) from onek;
insert into onek values(default);
(SELECT count(*) FROM pg_buffercache WHERE relfilenode = pg_relation_filenode('onek'::regclass))
except
(
select count(pg_buffercache_invalidate(bufferid))
from    pg_buffercache   where relfilenode = pg_relation_filenode('onek'::regclass)
);

rollback;

Re: Extension Enhancement: Buffer Invalidation in pg_buffercache

От
Nitin Jadhav
Дата:
+1 for the idea. It's going to be more useful to test and understand
the buffer management of PostgreSQL and it can be used to explicitly
free up the buffers if there are any such requirements.

I had a quick look over the patch. Following are the comments.

First, The TryInvalidateBuffer() tries to flush the buffer if it is
dirty and then tries to invalidate it if it meets the requirement.
Instead of directly doing this can we provide an option to the caller
to mention whether to invalidate the dirty buffers or not. For
example, TryInvalidateBuffer(Buffer bufnum, bool force), if the force
is set to FALSE, then ignore invalidating dirty buffers. Otherwise,
flush the dirty buffer and try to invalidate.

Second, In TryInvalidateBuffer(), it first checks if the reference
count is greater than zero and then checks for dirty buffers. Will
there be a scenario where the buffer is dirty and its reference count
is zero? Can you please provide more information on this or adjust the
code accordingly.

> +/*
> +Try Invalidating a buffer using bufnum.
> +If the buffer is invalid, the function returns false.
> +The function checks for dirty buffer and flushes the dirty buffer before invalidating.
> +If the buffer is still dirty it returns false.
> +*/
> +bool

The star(*) and space are missing here. Please refer to the style of
function comments and change accordingly.

Thanks & Regards,
Nitin Jadhav

On Fri, Jun 30, 2023 at 4:17 PM Palak Chaturvedi
> [...]
>  count
> -------
>   1659
> (1 row)
>
> pgbench=# select count(pg_buffercache_invalidate(bufferid)) from
> pg_buffercache where relfilenode =
> pg_relation_filenode('pgbench_accounts'::regclass);
>  count
> -------
>   1659
> (1 row)
>
> pgbench=# SELECT count(*)
> FROM pg_buffercache
> WHERE relfilenode = pg_relation_filenode('pgbench_accounts'::regclass);
>  count
> -------
>      0
> (1 row)
>

> Best regards,
> Palak

Re: Extension Enhancement: Buffer Invalidation in pg_buffercache

Дата:
Hey Nitin,
>Will
>there be a scenario where the buffer is dirty and its reference count
>is zero?
There might be a buffer that has been dirtied but is not pinned or
being used currently by a process. So checking the refcount and then
dirty buffers helps.
>First, The TryInvalidateBuffer() tries to flush the buffer if it is
dirty and then tries to invalidate it if it meets the requirement.
Instead of directly doing this can we provide an option to the caller
to mention whether to invalidate the dirty buffers or not.
Yes that can be implemented with a default value of force. Will
implement it in the next patch.

On Wed, 5 Jul 2023 at 17:53, Nitin Jadhav <nitinjadhavpostgres@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >  count
> > -------
> >   1659
> > (1 row)
> >
> > pgbench=# select count(pg_buffercache_invalidate(bufferid)) from
> > pg_buffercache where relfilenode =
> > pg_relation_filenode('pgbench_accounts'::regclass);
> >  count
> > -------
> >   1659
> > (1 row)
> >
> > pgbench=# SELECT count(*)
> > FROM pg_buffercache
> > WHERE relfilenode = pg_relation_filenode('pgbench_accounts'::regclass);
> >  count
> > -------
> >      0
> > (1 row)
> >

> > Best regards,
> > Palak

Re: Extension Enhancement: Buffer Invalidation in pg_buffercache

Дата:
Can you please review the new patch of the extension with implemented
force variable.

On Tue, 11 Jul 2023 at 18:08, Palak Chaturvedi
> [...]
> > > -------
> > >   1659
> > > (1 row)
> > >
> > > pgbench=# select count(pg_buffercache_invalidate(bufferid)) from
> > > pg_buffercache where relfilenode =
> > > pg_relation_filenode('pgbench_accounts'::regclass);
> > >  count
> > > -------
> > >   1659
> > > (1 row)
> > >
> > > pgbench=# SELECT count(*)
> > > FROM pg_buffercache
> > > WHERE relfilenode = pg_relation_filenode('pgbench_accounts'::regclass);
> > >  count
> > > -------
> > >      0
> > > (1 row)
> > >

> > > Best regards,
> > > Palak

Вложения

Re: Extension Enhancement: Buffer Invalidation in pg_buffercache

Andres Freund
Дата:
Hi,

I wanted this feature a couple times before...

On 2023-07-03 13:56:29 +0530, Palak Chaturvedi wrote:
> +PG_FUNCTION_INFO_V1(pg_buffercache_invalidate);
> +Datum
> +pg_buffercache_invalidate(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS)

I don't think "invalidating" is the right terminology. Note that we already
have InvalidateBuffer() - but it's something we can't allow users to do, as it
throws away dirty buffer contents (it's used for things like dropping a
table).

How about using "discarding" for this functionality?

Using the buffer ID as the identifier doesn't seem great, because what that
buffer is used for, could have changed since the buffer ID has been acquired
(via the pg_buffercache view presumably)?

My suspicion is that the usual usecase for this would be to drop all buffers
that can be dropped?

> +    if (bufnum < 0 || bufnum > NBuffers)
> +    {
> +        ereport(ERROR,
> +                (errcode(ERRCODE_INVALID_PARAMETER_VALUE),
> +                 errmsg("buffernum is not valid")));
> +
> +    }
> +
> +    result = TryInvalidateBuffer(bufnum);
> +    PG_RETURN_BOOL(result);
> +}

I think this should be restricted to superuser by default (by revoking
permissions from PUBLIC). We allow normal users to use pg_prewarm(...), true -
but we perform an ACL check on the relation, so it can only be used for
relations you have access too.  This function could be used to affect
performance of other users quite substantially.

> +/*
> +Try Invalidating a buffer using bufnum.
> +If the buffer is invalid, the function returns false.
> +The function checks for dirty buffer and flushes the dirty buffer before invalidating.
> +If the buffer is still dirty it returns false.
> +*/
> +bool
> +TryInvalidateBuffer(Buffer bufnum)
> +{
> +    BufferDesc *bufHdr = GetBufferDescriptor(bufnum - 1);
> +    uint32        buf_state;
> +
> +    ReservePrivateRefCountEntry();
> +
> +    buf_state = LockBufHdr(bufHdr);
> +    if ((buf_state & BM_VALID) == BM_VALID)
> +    {
> +        /*
> +         * The buffer is pinned therefore cannot invalidate.
> +         */
> +        if (BUF_STATE_GET_REFCOUNT(buf_state) > 0)
> +        {
> +            UnlockBufHdr(bufHdr, buf_state);
> +            return false;
> +        }
> +        if ((buf_state & BM_DIRTY) == BM_DIRTY)
> +        {
> +            /*
> +             * Try once to flush the dirty buffer.
> +             */
> +            PinBuffer_Locked(bufHdr);
> +            LWLockAcquire(BufferDescriptorGetContentLock(bufHdr), LW_SHARED);
> +            FlushBuffer(bufHdr, NULL, IOOBJECT_RELATION, IOCONTEXT_NORMAL);
> +            LWLockRelease(BufferDescriptorGetContentLock(bufHdr));
> +            UnpinBuffer(bufHdr);
> +            buf_state = LockBufHdr(bufHdr);
> +            if (BUF_STATE_GET_REFCOUNT(buf_state) > 0)
> +            {
> +                UnlockBufHdr(bufHdr, buf_state);
> +                return false;
> +            }
> +
> +            /*
> +             * If its dirty again or not valid anymore give up.
> +             */
> +
> +            if ((buf_state & (BM_DIRTY | BM_VALID)) != (BM_VALID))
> +            {
> +                UnlockBufHdr(bufHdr, buf_state);
> +                return false;
> +            }
> +
> +        }
> +
> +        InvalidateBuffer(bufHdr);

I'm wary of using InvalidateBuffer() here, it's typically used for different
purposes, including throwing valid contents away. That seems a bit scary.

I think you should be able to just use InvalidateVictimBuffer()?

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: Extension Enhancement: Buffer Invalidation in pg_buffercache

От
Thomas Munro
Дата:
On Wed, Jul 19, 2023 at 12:45 PM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> I don't think "invalidating" is the right terminology. Note that we already
> have InvalidateBuffer() - but it's something we can't allow users to do, as it
> throws away dirty buffer contents (it's used for things like dropping a
> table).
>
> How about using "discarding" for this functionality?

+1

> Using the buffer ID as the identifier doesn't seem great, because what that
> buffer is used for, could have changed since the buffer ID has been acquired
> (via the pg_buffercache view presumably)?
>
> My suspicion is that the usual usecase for this would be to drop all buffers
> that can be dropped?

Well the idea was to be able to drop less than everything.  Instead of
having to bike-shed what the user interface should look like to
specify what subset of everything you want to drop, you can just write
SQL queries (mostly likely involving the pg_buffercache view, indeed).
It's true that buffer IDs can change underneath your feet between
SELECT and discard, but the whole concept is inherently racy like
that.  Suppose we instead had pg_unwarm('my_table') or whatever
instead.  Immediately after it runs and before it even returns, some
blocks of my_table can finish up coming back into the pool.  It's also
interesting to be able to kick individual pages out when testing code
that caches buffers IDs for ReadRecentBuffer(), and other buffer-pool
work.  Hence desire to not try to be clever at all here, and just come
up with the absolute bare minimum thing that can kick buffers out by
ID and leave the rest up to hackers/experts who are willing and able
to write queries to supply them.  You can still drop everything that
can be dropped -- generate_series.  Or whatever you want.

Re: Extension Enhancement: Buffer Invalidation in pg_buffercache

От
Cary Huang
Дата:
Hello

I had a look at the patch and tested it on CI bot, it compiles and tests fine both autoconf and meson. I noticed that
thev2 patch contains the v1 patch file as well. Not sure if intended but put there my accident.

> I don't think "invalidating" is the right terminology. Note that we already
 > have InvalidateBuffer() - but it's something we can't allow users to do, as it
 > throws away dirty buffer contents (it's used for things like dropping a
 > table).
 >
 > How about using "discarding" for this functionality?

I think "invalidating" is the right terminology here, it is exactly what the feature is doing, it tries to invalidate a
bufferID by calling InvalidateBuffer() routine inside buffer manager and calls FlushBuffer() before invalidating if
markeddirty.

The problem here is that InvalidateBuffer() could be dangerous because it allows a user to invalidate buffer that may
havedata in other tables not owned by the current user,

I think it all comes down to the purpose of this feature. Based on the description in this email thread, I feel like
thisfeature should be categorized as a developer-only feature, to be used by PG developer to experiment and observe
somedevelopment works by invalidating one more more specific buffers..... If this is the case, it may be helpful to add
a"DEVELOPER_OPTIONS" in GUC, which allows or disallows the TryInvalidateBuffer() to run or to return error if user does
nothave this developer option enabled.

If the purpose of this feature is for general users, then it would make sense to have something like pg_unwarm (exactly
oppositeof pg_prewarm) that takes table name (instead of buffer ID) and drop all buffers associated with that table
name.There will be permission checks as well so a user cannot pg_unwarm a table owned by someone else. User in this
casewon't be able to invalidate a particular buffer, but he/she should not have to as a regular user anyway.

thanks!

Cary Huang
-------------
HighGo Software Inc. (Canada)
cary.huang@highgo.ca
www.highgo.ca

Re: Extension Enhancement: Buffer Invalidation in pg_buffercache

От
Palak Chaturvedi
Дата:
Hii,
Thanks for your feedback. We have decided to add a role for the
extension to solve that problem.
And concerning to pg_unwarm table I think we can create a new function
to do that but I think a general user would not require to clear a
table from buffercache.
We can use bufferid and where statements to do the same if a
superuser/(specific role) requests it.

Thanks.

On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 at 02:55, Cary Huang <cary.huang@highgo.ca> wrote:

>  Hello
>
> I had a look at the patch and tested it on CI bot, it compiles and tests fine both autoconf and meson. I noticed that
thev2 patch contains the v1 patch file as well. Not sure if intended but put there my accident.

> > I don't think "invalidating" is the right terminology. Note that we already
>  > have InvalidateBuffer() - but it's something we can't allow users to do, as it
>  > throws away dirty buffer contents (it's used for things like dropping a
>  > table).
>  >
>  > How about using "discarding" for this functionality?
>
> I think "invalidating" is the right terminology here, it is exactly what the feature is doing, it tries to invalidate
abuffer ID by calling InvalidateBuffer() routine inside buffer manager and calls FlushBuffer() before invalidating if
markeddirty.

> The problem here is that InvalidateBuffer() could be dangerous because it allows a user to invalidate buffer that may
havedata in other tables not owned by the current user,

> I think it all comes down to the purpose of this feature. Based on the description in this email thread, I feel like
thisfeature should be categorized as a developer-only feature, to be used by PG developer to experiment and observe
somedevelopment works by invalidating one more more specific buffers..... If this is the case, it may be helpful to add
a"DEVELOPER_OPTIONS" in GUC, which allows or disallows the TryInvalidateBuffer() to run or to return error if user does
nothave this developer option enabled.

> If the purpose of this feature is for general users, then it would make sense to have something like pg_unwarm
(exactlyopposite of pg_prewarm) that takes table name (instead of buffer ID) and drop all buffers associated with that
tablename. There will be permission checks as well so a user cannot pg_unwarm a table owned by someone else. User in
thiscase won't be able to invalidate a particular buffer, but he/she should not have to as a regular user anyway.

> thanks!
>
> Cary Huang
> -------------
> HighGo Software Inc. (Canada)
> cary.huang@highgo.ca
> www.highgo.ca

Re: Extension Enhancement: Buffer Invalidation in pg_buffercache

От
Cédric Villemain
Дата:
Le 01/07/2023 à 00:09, Thomas Munro a écrit :
> On Fri, Jun 30, 2023 at 10:47 PM Palak Chaturvedi
> <chaturvedipalak1911@gmail.com> wrote:

> We also talked a bit about how one might control the kernel page cache
> in more fine-grained ways for testing purposes, but it seems like the
> pgfincore project has that covered with its pgfadvise_willneed() and
> pgfadvise_dontneed().  IMHO that project could use more page-oriented
> operations (instead of just counts and coarse grains operations) but
> that's something that could be material for patches to send to the
> extension maintainers.  This work, in contrast, is more tangled up
> with bufmgr.c internals, so it feels like this feature belongs in a
> core contrib module.

Precisely what pgfincore is doing/offering already.
Happy to propose to postgresql tree if there are interest. Next step for
pgfincore is to add cachestat() syscall and evaluates benefits for
PostgreSQL cost estimators of this new call.

Here an example to achieve the warm/unwarm, each bit is a PostgreSQL
page, so here we warm cache with the first 3 and remove the last 3 from
cache (system cache, not shared buffers).

cedric=# select * from pgfadvise_loader('pgbench_accounts', 0, true,
true, B'111000');
      relpath      | os_page_size | os_pages_free | pages_loaded |
pages_unloaded
------------------+--------------+---------------+--------------+----------------
  base/11874/16447 |         4096 |        408376 |            3 |
        3

---
Cédric Villemain +33 (0)6 20 30 22 52
https://Data-Bene.io
PostgreSQL Expertise, Support, Training, R&D

Re: Extension Enhancement: Buffer Invalidation in pg_buffercache

От
Cédric Villemain
Дата:
Hi Palak,

I did a quick review of the patch:

+CREATE FUNCTION pg_buffercache_invalidate(IN int, IN bool default true)
+RETURNS bool
+AS 'MODULE_PATHNAME', 'pg_buffercache_invalidate'
+LANGUAGE C PARALLEL SAFE;

--> Not enforced anywhere, but you can also add a comment to the
function, for end users...

+PG_FUNCTION_INFO_V1(pg_buffercache_invalidate);
+Datum
+pg_buffercache_invalidate(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS)
+{
+    Buffer        bufnum;

"Buffer blocknum" is not correct in this context I believe. Buffer is
when you have to manage Local buffer too (negative number).
Here uint32 is probably the good choice at the end, as used in
pg_buffercache in other places.

Also in this extension bufferid is used, not buffernum.

+    bufnum = PG_GETARG_INT32(0);

+    if (bufnum <= 0 || bufnum > NBuffers)

maybe have a look at pageinspect and its PG_GETARG_UINT32.

+    {
+        ereport(ERROR,
+                (errcode(ERRCODE_INVALID_PARAMETER_VALUE),
+                 errmsg("buffernum is not valid")));

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/error-style-guide.html let me think
that message like 'buffernum is not valid' can be enhanced: out of
range, cannot be negative or exceed number of shared buffers.... ? Maybe
add the value to the message.

+
+    }
+
+    /*
+     * Check whether to force invalidate the dirty buffer. The default
value of force is true.
+     */
+
+    force = PG_GETARG_BOOL(1);

I think you also need to test PG_ARGISNULL with force parameter.

+/*
+ * Try Invalidating a buffer using bufnum.
+ * If the buffer is invalid, the function returns false.
+ * The function checks for dirty buffer and flushes the dirty buffer
before invalidating.
+ * If the buffer is still dirty it returns false.
+ */
+bool
+TryInvalidateBuffer(Buffer bufnum, bool force)
+{
+    BufferDesc *bufHdr = GetBufferDescriptor(bufnum - 1);

this is not safe, GetBufferDescriptor() accepts uint, but can receive
negative here. Use uint32 and bufferid.

+    uint32        buf_state;
+    ReservePrivateRefCountEntry();
+
+    buf_state = LockBufHdr(bufHdr);
+    if ((buf_state & BM_VALID) == BM_VALID)
+    {
+        /*
+         * The buffer is pinned therefore cannot invalidate.
+         */
+        if (BUF_STATE_GET_REFCOUNT(buf_state) > 0)
+        {
+            UnlockBufHdr(bufHdr, buf_state);
+            return false;
+        }
+        if ((buf_state & BM_DIRTY) == BM_DIRTY)
+        {
+            /*
+             * If the buffer is dirty and the user has not asked to
clear the dirty buffer return false.
+             * Otherwise clear the dirty buffer.
+             */
+            if(!force){
+                return false;

probably need to unlockbuffer here too.

+            }
+            /*
+             * Try once to flush the dirty buffer.
+             */
+            ResourceOwnerEnlargeBuffers(CurrentResourceOwner);
+            PinBuffer_Locked(bufHdr);
+            LWLockAcquire(BufferDescriptorGetContentLock(bufHdr),
LW_SHARED);
+            FlushBuffer(bufHdr, NULL, IOOBJECT_RELATION, IOCONTEXT_NORMAL);
+ LWLockRelease(BufferDescriptorGetContentLock(bufHdr));
+            UnpinBuffer(bufHdr);

I am unsure of this area (the code is correct, but I wonder why there is
no static code for this part -from pin to unpin- in PostgreSQL), and
maybe better to go with FlushOneBuffer() ?
Also it is probably required to account for the shared buffer eviction
in some pg_stat* view or table.
Not sure how disk syncing is handled after this sequence nor if it's
important ?

+            buf_state = LockBufHdr(bufHdr);
+            if (BUF_STATE_GET_REFCOUNT(buf_state) > 0)
+            {
+                UnlockBufHdr(bufHdr, buf_state);
+                return false;
+            }
+
+            /*
+             * If its dirty again or not valid anymore give up.
+             */
+
+            if ((buf_state & (BM_DIRTY | BM_VALID)) != (BM_VALID))
+            {
+                UnlockBufHdr(bufHdr, buf_state);
+                return false;
+            }
+
+        }
+
+        InvalidateBuffer(bufHdr);
+        return true;
+    }
+    else
+    {
+        UnlockBufHdr(bufHdr, buf_state);
+        return false;
+    }

Maybe safe to remove the else {} ...
Maybe more tempting to start the big if with the following instead less
nested...):
+    if ((buf_state & BM_VALID) != BM_VALID)
+    {
+        UnlockBufHdr(bufHdr, buf_state);
+        return false;
+    }

Doc and test are absent.

---
Cédric Villemain +33 (0)6 20 30 22 52
https://Data-Bene.io
PostgreSQL Expertise, Support, Training, R&D

Re: Extension Enhancement: Buffer Invalidation in pg_buffercache

От
Cédric Villemain
Дата:
Hi Palak,

there is currently even more interest in your patch as it should help
building tests for on-going development around cache/read
management/effects.

Do you expect to be able to follow-up in the coming future ?

Thank you,
Cédric

--
---
Cédric Villemain +33 (0)6 20 30 22 52
https://Data-Bene.io
PostgreSQL Expertise, Support, Training, R&D

Re: Extension Enhancement: Buffer Invalidation in pg_buffercache

От
Thomas Munro
Дата:
[Sorry to those who received this message twice -- the first time got
bounced by the list because of a defunct email address in the CC
list.]

Here is a rebase of Palak's v2 patch.  I didn't change anything except
for the required resource manager API change, a pgindent run, and
removal of a stray file, and there is still some feedback to be
addressed before we can get this in, but I wanted to fix the bitrot
and re-open this CF item because this is very useful work.  It's
essential for testing the prefetching-related stuff happening in
various other threads, where you want to be able to get the buffer
pool into various interesting states.

Вложения

Re: Extension Enhancement: Buffer Invalidation in pg_buffercache

От
Maxim Orlov
Дата:
Quite an interesting patch, in my opinion.  I've decided to work on it a bit, did some refactoring (sorry) and add
basic tests. Also, I try to take into account as much as possible notes on the patch, mentioned by Cédric Villemain.

> and maybe better to go with FlushOneBuffer() ?
It's a good idea, but I'm not sure at the moment.  I'll try to dig some deeper into it.  At least, FlushOneBuffer does
not work for a local buffers.  So, we have to decide whatever pg_buffercache_invalidate should or should not
work for local buffers.  For now, I don't see why it should not.  Maybe I miss something?

--
Best regards,
Maxim Orlov.
Вложения

Re: Extension Enhancement: Buffer Invalidation in pg_buffercache

От
Thomas Munro
Дата:
On Fri, Mar 8, 2024 at 6:20 AM Maxim Orlov <orlovmg@gmail.com> wrote:
> Quite an interesting patch, in my opinion.  I've decided to work on it a bit, did some refactoring (sorry) and add
> basic tests. Also, I try to take into account as much as possible notes on the patch, mentioned by Cédric Villemain.

Thanks!  Unfortunately I don't think it's possible to include a
regression test that looks at the output, because it'd be
non-deterministic.  Any other backend could pin or dirty the buffer
you try to evict, changing the behaviour.

> > and maybe better to go with FlushOneBuffer() ?
> It's a good idea, but I'm not sure at the moment.  I'll try to dig some deeper into it.  At least, FlushOneBuffer
does
> not work for a local buffers.  So, we have to decide whatever pg_buffercache_invalidate should or should not
> work for local buffers.  For now, I don't see why it should not.  Maybe I miss something?

I think it's OK to ignore local buffers for now.  pg_buffercache
generally doesn't support/show them so I don't feel inclined to
support them for this.  I removed a few traces of local support.

It didn't seem appropriate to use the pg_monitor role for this, so I
made it superuser-only.  I don't think it makes much sense to use this
on any kind of production system so I don't think we need a new role
for it, and existing roles don't seem too appropriate.  pageinspect et
al use the same approach.

I added a VOLATILE qualifier to the function.

I added some documentation.

I changed the name to pg_buffercache_evict().

I got rid of the 'force' flag which was used to say 'I only want to
evict this buffer it is clean'.  I don't really see the point in that,
we might as well keep it simple.  You could filter buffers on
"isdirty" if you want.

I added comments to scare anyone off using EvictBuffer() for anything
much, and marking it as something for developer convenience.  (I am
aware of an experimental patch that uses this same function as part of
a buffer pool resizing operation, but that has other infrastructure to
make that safe and would adjust those remarks accordingly.)

I wondered whether it should really be testing for  BM_TAG_VALID
rather than BM_VALID.  Arguably, but it doesn't seem important for
now.  The distinction would arise if someone had tried to read in a
buffer, got an I/O error and abandoned ship, leaving a buffer with a
valid tag but not valid contents.  Anyone who tries to ReadBuffer() it
will then try to read it again, but in the meantime this function
won't be able to evict it (it'll just return false).  Doesn't seem
that obvious to me that this obscure case needs to be handled.  That
doesn't happen *during* a non-error case, because then it's pinned and
we already return false in this code for pins.

I contemplated whether InvalidateBuffer() or InvalidateVictimBuffer()
would be better here and realised that Andres's intuition was probably
right when he suggested the latter up-thread.  It is designed with the
right sort of arbitrary concurrent activity in mind, where the former
assumes things about locking and dropping, which could get us into
trouble if not now maybe in the future.

I ran the following diabolical buffer blaster loop while repeatedly
running installcheck:

do
$$
begin
  loop
    perform pg_buffercache_evict(bufferid)
       from pg_buffercache
      where random() <= 0.25;
  end loop;
End;
$$;

The only ill-effect was a hot laptop.

Thoughts, objections, etc?

Very simple example of use:

create or replace function uncache_relation(name text)
returns boolean
begin atomic;
  select bool_and(pg_buffercache_evict(bufferid))
    from pg_buffercache
   where reldatabase = (select oid
                          from pg_database
                         where datname = current_database())
     and relfilenode = pg_relation_filenode(name);
end;

More interesting for those of us hacking on streaming I/O stuff was
the ability to evict just parts of things and see how the I/O merging
and I/O depth react.

Вложения

Re: Extension Enhancement: Buffer Invalidation in pg_buffercache

От
Thomas Munro
Дата:
On second thoughts, I think the original "invalidate" terminology was
fine, no need to invent a new term.

I thought of a better name for the bufmgr.c function though:
InvalidateUnpinnedBuffer().  That name seemed better to me after I
festooned it with warnings about why exactly it's inherently racy and
only for testing use.

I suppose someone could propose an additional function
pg_buffercache_invalidate(db, tbspc, rel, fork, blocknum) that would
be slightly better in the sense that it couldn't accidentally evict
some innocent block that happened to replace the real target just
before it runs, but I don't think it matters much for this purpose and
it would still be racy on return (vacuum decides to load your block
back in) so I don't think it's worth bothering with.

So this is the version I plan to commit.

Вложения

Re: Extension Enhancement: Buffer Invalidation in pg_buffercache

От
Melanie Plageman
Дата:
On Sat, Apr 6, 2024 at 7:08 PM Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> wrote:

> On second thoughts, I think the original "invalidate" terminology was
> fine, no need to invent a new term.
>
> I thought of a better name for the bufmgr.c function though:
> InvalidateUnpinnedBuffer().  That name seemed better to me after I
> festooned it with warnings about why exactly it's inherently racy and
> only for testing use.
>
> I suppose someone could propose an additional function
> pg_buffercache_invalidate(db, tbspc, rel, fork, blocknum) that would
> be slightly better in the sense that it couldn't accidentally evict
> some innocent block that happened to replace the real target just
> before it runs, but I don't think it matters much for this purpose and
> it would still be racy on return (vacuum decides to load your block
> back in) so I don't think it's worth bothering with.
>
> So this is the version I plan to commit.

I've reviewed v6. I think you should mention in the docs that it only
works for shared buffers -- so specifically not buffers containing
blocks of temp tables.

In the function pg_buffercache_invalidate(), why not use the
BufferIsValid() function?

-   if (buf < 1 || buf > NBuffers)
+   if (!BufferIsValid(buf) || buf > NBuffers)

I thought the below would be more clear for the comment above
InvalidateUnpinnedBuffer().

- * Returns true if the buffer was valid and it has now been made invalid.
- * Returns false if the wasn't valid, or it couldn't be evicted due to a pin,
- * or if the buffer becomes dirty again while we're trying to write it out.
+ * Returns true if the buffer was valid and has now been made invalid. Returns
+ * false if it wasn't valid, if it couldn't be evicted due to a pin, or if the
+ * buffer becomes dirty again while we're trying to write it out.

Some of that probably applies for the docs too (i.e. you have some
similar wording in the docs). There is actually one typo in your
version, so even if you don't adopt my suggestion, you should fix that
typo.

I didn't notice anything else out of place. I tried it and it worked
as expected. I'm excited to have this feature!

I didn't read through this whole thread, but was there any talk of
adding other functions to let me invalidate a bunch of buffers at once
or even some options -- like invalidate every 3rd buffer or whatever?
(Not the concern of this patch, but just wondering because that would
be a useful future enhancement IMO).

- Melanie

Re: Extension Enhancement: Buffer Invalidation in pg_buffercache

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
Hi,

On 2024-04-07 11:07:58 +1200, Thomas Munro wrote:
> I thought of a better name for the bufmgr.c function though:
> InvalidateUnpinnedBuffer().  That name seemed better to me after I
> festooned it with warnings about why exactly it's inherently racy and
> only for testing use.

I still dislike that, fwiw, due to the naming similarity to
InvalidateBuffer(), which throws away dirty buffer contents too. Which
obviously isn't acceptable from "userspace".  I'd just name it
pg_buffercache_evict() - given that the commit message's first paragraph uses
"it is useful to be able to evict arbitrary blocks" that seems to describe
things at least as well as "invalidate"?

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: Extension Enhancement: Buffer Invalidation in pg_buffercache

От
Thomas Munro
Дата:
On Mon, Apr 8, 2024 at 12:10 PM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> On 2024-04-07 11:07:58 +1200, Thomas Munro wrote:
> > I thought of a better name for the bufmgr.c function though:
> > InvalidateUnpinnedBuffer().  That name seemed better to me after I
> > festooned it with warnings about why exactly it's inherently racy and
> > only for testing use.
>
> I still dislike that, fwiw, due to the naming similarity to
> InvalidateBuffer(), which throws away dirty buffer contents too. Which
> obviously isn't acceptable from "userspace".  I'd just name it
> pg_buffercache_evict() - given that the commit message's first paragraph uses
> "it is useful to be able to evict arbitrary blocks" that seems to describe
> things at least as well as "invalidate"?

Alright, sold.  I'll go with EvictUnpinnedBuffer() in bufmgr.c and
pg_buffercache_evict() in the contrib module.

Re: Extension Enhancement: Buffer Invalidation in pg_buffercache

От
Thomas Munro
Дата:
On Mon, Apr 8, 2024 at 11:53 AM Melanie Plageman
<melanieplageman@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've reviewed v6. I think you should mention in the docs that it only
> works for shared buffers -- so specifically not buffers containing
> blocks of temp tables.

Thanks for looking!  The whole pg_buffercache extension is for working
with shared buffers only, as mentioned at the top.  I have tried to
improve that paragraph though, as it only mentioned examining them.

> In the function pg_buffercache_invalidate(), why not use the
> BufferIsValid() function?
>
> -   if (buf < 1 || buf > NBuffers)
> +   if (!BufferIsValid(buf) || buf > NBuffers)

It doesn't check the range (it has assertions, not errors).

> I thought the below would be more clear for the comment above
> InvalidateUnpinnedBuffer().
>
> - * Returns true if the buffer was valid and it has now been made invalid.
> - * Returns false if the wasn't valid, or it couldn't be evicted due to a pin,
> - * or if the buffer becomes dirty again while we're trying to write it out.
> + * Returns true if the buffer was valid and has now been made invalid. Returns
> + * false if it wasn't valid, if it couldn't be evicted due to a pin, or if the
> + * buffer becomes dirty again while we're trying to write it out.

Fixed.

> Some of that probably applies for the docs too (i.e. you have some
> similar wording in the docs). There is actually one typo in your
> version, so even if you don't adopt my suggestion, you should fix that
> typo.

Yeah, thanks, improved similarly there.

> I didn't notice anything else out of place. I tried it and it worked
> as expected. I'm excited to have this feature!

Thanks!

> I didn't read through this whole thread, but was there any talk of
> adding other functions to let me invalidate a bunch of buffers at once
> or even some options -- like invalidate every 3rd buffer or whatever?
> (Not the concern of this patch, but just wondering because that would
> be a useful future enhancement IMO).

TBH I tried to resist people steering in that direction because you
can also just define a SQL function to do that built on this, and if
you had specialised functions they'd never be quite right.  IMHO we
succeeded in minimising the engineering and maximising flexibility,
'cause it's for hackers.  Crude, but already able to express a wide
range of stuff by punting the problem to SQL.

Thanks to Palak for the patch.  Pushed.

Re: Extension Enhancement: Buffer Invalidation in pg_buffercache

От
Maksim Milyutin

On 07.04.2024 02:07, Thomas Munro wrote:

So this is the version I plan to commit.

+bool
+EvictUnpinnedBuffer(Buffer buf)
+{
+    /* This will return false if it becomes dirty or someone else pins it. */
+    result = InvalidateVictimBuffer(desc);
+
+    UnpinBuffer(desc);
+
+    return result;
+}

Hi, Thomas!

Should not we call at the end the StrategyFreeBuffer() function to add target buffer to freelist and not miss it after invalidation?

--
Best regards,
Maksim Milyutin

On 14.04.2024 21:16, Maksim Milyutin wrote:

On 07.04.2024 02:07, Thomas Munro wrote:

So this is the version I plan to commit.

+bool
+EvictUnpinnedBuffer(Buffer buf)
+{
+    /* This will return false if it becomes dirty or someone else pins it. */
+    result = InvalidateVictimBuffer(desc);
+
+    UnpinBuffer(desc);
+
+    return result;
+}

Hi, Thomas!

Should not we call at the end the StrategyFreeBuffer() function to add target buffer to freelist and not miss it after invalidation?

Hello everyone!

Please take a look at this issue, current implementation of EvictUnpinnedBuffer() IMO is erroneous - evicted buffers are lost permanently and will not be reused again

--
Best regards,
Maksim Milyutin

Re: Extension Enhancement: Buffer Invalidation in pg_buffercache

От
Thomas Munro
Дата:
On Tue, Apr 30, 2024 at 6:47 AM Maksim Milyutin <milyutinma@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Should not we call at the end the StrategyFreeBuffer() function to add target buffer to freelist and not miss it
afterinvalidation?

> Please take a look at this issue, current implementation of EvictUnpinnedBuffer() IMO is erroneous - evicted buffers
arelost permanently and will not be reused again

Hi Maksim,

Oops, thanks, will fix.

Re: Extension Enhancement: Buffer Invalidation in pg_buffercache

От
Thomas Munro
Дата:
On Tue, Apr 30, 2024 at 7:17 AM Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 30, 2024 at 6:47 AM Maksim Milyutin <milyutinma@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Should not we call at the end the StrategyFreeBuffer() function to add target buffer to freelist and not miss it
afterinvalidation?

> > Please take a look at this issue, current implementation of EvictUnpinnedBuffer() IMO is erroneous - evicted
buffersare lost permanently and will not be reused again

I don't think that's true: it is not lost permanently, it'll be found
by the regular clock hand.  Perhaps it should be put on the freelist
so it can be found again quickly, but I'm not sure that's a bug, is
it?  If it were true, even basic testing eg select
count(pg_buffercache_evict(bufferid)) from pg_buffercache would leave
the system non-functional, but it doesn't, the usual CLOCK algorithm
just does its thing.

On 29.04.2024 23:59, Thomas Munro wrote:
On Tue, Apr 30, 2024 at 7:17 AM Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 30, 2024 at 6:47 AM Maksim Milyutin <milyutinma@gmail.com> wrote:
Should not we call at the end the StrategyFreeBuffer() function to add target buffer to freelist and not miss it after invalidation?
Please take a look at this issue, current implementation of EvictUnpinnedBuffer() IMO is erroneous - evicted buffers are lost permanently and will not be reused again
I don't think that's true: it is not lost permanently, it'll be found
by the regular clock hand.  Perhaps it should be put on the freelist
so it can be found again quickly, but I'm not sure that's a bug, is
it?

Yeah, you are right. Thanks for clarification.

CLOCK algorithm will reuse it eventually but being of evicted cleared buffer in freelist might greatly restrict the time of buffer allocation when all others buffers were in use.

--
Best regards,
Maksim Milyutin