Re: MaxOffsetNumber for Table AMs

От Jeff Davis
Тема Re: MaxOffsetNumber for Table AMs
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2021-05-05 at 10:27 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> It's too early for the project to commit to stability in
> this area; we have not managed to get a single AM apart from heapam
> into core

"In core" shouldn't matter. In fact, if it's in core, stability of the
APIs is much less important.

>  If and when we have say 5 of those

That seems like a standard that we won't reach in any reasonable amount
of time.

> we can probably
> articulate some intelligent ideas about what we think the patterns
> that need to hold for future AMs are, but it's reckless to
> extrapolate
> from 1 working example, and right now that's all we have.

We should count columnar as a second example. While it doesn't support
everything that heap does, we are actively working on it and it's
gaining features quickly. It's also showing some impressive real-world
results.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis

От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: pg_receivewal makes a bad daemon
От: Peter Geoghegan
Сообщение: Re: MaxOffsetNumber for Table AMs