Re: Column types

От Guillaume Lelarge
Тема Re: Column types
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
Le 05/24/2011 11:55 PM, Arne Heizmann a écrit :
> On 24/05/2011 20:52, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
>>> It would be nice if the list that displays the columns in a table also
>>> displayed the type of each column:
>>
>> We try to have some consistency.
>
> Even when it clearly impairs usability? :)

No. That's why we put the datatype field in the first tab of the column
properties dialog. But we didn't at first.

And to be honest, I don't see it as "impairing usability".

> Interesting you should say that though, because there are a few
> inconsistencies with native OS behaviour — for example, the Context key
> doesn’t open context menus. Shift+F10 does though. Normally Shift+F10 is
> considered an alias for the Context key.

Could be a wxWidgets bug. I'll have to look into this.

> Would you like me to report more of these as I encouter them?

Yes, of course.

> I tried to
> find a public bugtracker where I could file them, but all I found was a
> reference to this mailing list.

There's no (read/write) public bugtracker. There's a "private" one
(http://code.pgadmin.org) where we put interesting things to work on (at
least the ones we don't have time to work on immediately).

So, yeah, you found a bug, or you want a new feature? tell about it on
the pgadmin-support mailing list.

>> If we add other properties, then everyone will have his favourites.
>
> Well if you add properties just because someone thinks it’s his
> favourite, then of course you’d be impairing usability in the other
> direction. Good UI design requires you to strike the right balance —
> nobody said UI design is easy :)

+1

> A column’s type is not a favourite, it’s essential information.

I agree it's an essential information. But that doesn't mean it should
appear on that list.

> Also a
> column in a table is not a J. Random Object, it’s an archetypical
> feature of an RDBMS. If anything deserves special treatment, wouldn’t
> you agree that this is a pretty good candidate? :)

I agree. I also agree it would be a pretty good candidate to be shown in
this list. But I'm worried this is the opening of Pandora's box.

--
Guillaumehttp://www.postgresql.frhttp://dalibo.com

От: Arne Heizmann
Сообщение: Re: Column types
От: Guillaume Lelarge
Сообщение: Re: Menu mnemonics and how to submit patches