Re: Different order by behaviour depending on where clause?

От Jan Bakuwel
Тема Re: Different order by behaviour depending on where clause?
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Hi Phil,

Thanks for your reply.

On 28/10/11 23:25, Phil Couling wrote:
> Hi Jan
>
> It is my understanding that a select query without "order by" has an
> undefined order.
> Though I'm sure you understand the dangers of using something which is
> undefined, I'm going reiterate them here:

I think you might have misread my email, I'm quoting:

"I have a compound query with some grouping, having and order by's saved
as a view, say with name "myview".

So... I am using explicit order by's. The problem (now solved) was that
I somewhere subtle "hidden" in one of my subqueries, type casted a row
(varchar to int) but omitted to do the same one or two "levels up". This
messed up my sorting. Once I applied the type cast in every single bit
of statement or all (sub)selects, all was OK.

kind regards,
Jan