Re: Different order by behaviour depending on where clause?

От Phil Couling
Тема Re: Different order by behaviour depending on where clause?
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Hi Jan

It is my understanding that a select query without "order by" has an
undefined order.
Though I'm sure you understand the dangers of using something which is
undefined, I'm going reiterate them here:

In general you should never rely on something which is undefined.
Attempting to investigate undefined behavior is a very bad idea
because it can change without warning - especially with databases and
explain plans.

Even when it appears to work (example a and b) you must NEVER rely on it.
This is clearly being affected by the way postgres plans the query.
Since the plan can change depending on the profile of the data, your
application may order things correctly when you build it but suddenly
stop ordering correctly years down the line when it has been filled
with data. Also when postgres gets upgraded no-one guarantees that
undefined behavior will remain unchanged.

As tedious as this is, you're just going to have to order this in your
select queries.

Regards