Re: About pgAdmin III

От Dave Page
Тема Re: About pgAdmin III
Дата
Список pgadmin-hackers
Hi Andreas,

It's rumoured that Andreas Pflug once said:

> I strongly disagree for several reasons.
>
> IMHO the dialog can be resized large enough for view and function
> editing, it's not so much space that's wasted compared to an edit only
> window. If this is still felt too small, the function/view definition
> exceeds the scope of the property dialog; use a script edited with the
> query tool instead. Property dialogs are for ad-hoc work, not lengthy
> development.

So what you're saying is, if you want to develop complex views/functions,
don't use the nice tools we provide, do it the hard way? If so, then
you've completely missed the whole point of the pgAdmin project :-(
You should be able to edit any object through it's properties dialogue, no
matter how complex - you cannot start dismissing them because they become
too big - that's just ridiculous!!
The properties dialogues should all be a consistent size and shape (iirc,
you wrote some notes to this effect), and if more edit real estate is
required, then a popup editor seems the only sensible option - it's even
been on the pgAdmin II todo list for a year or more.
> Additionally, popping up windows should be avoided as much as possible.
>  In this case, it would be even worse, because the window would be
> modal,  inhibiting any work in pgAdmin3.

I agree that such a design needs careful thought. Ideally, a popup editor
will only make the parent dialogue modal. Perhaps this can be achieved by
disabling the controls on it until the editor is closed. Whatever, it will
need to be thought out well.
Regards, Dave.

От: Andreas Pflug
Сообщение: Re: Updated, nearly complete, Swedish translation
От: Andreas Pflug
Сообщение: Re: About pgAdmin III