Re: Sending out a request for more buildfarm animals?

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: Sending out a request for more buildfarm animals?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 9.5.2014 17:18, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Tomas Vondra wrote:
>
>> So, if I get this right, the proposal is to have 7 animals:
>
> It's your machine, so you decide what you want.  I'm only throwing
> out some ideas.
>
>> 1) all branches/locales, frequent builds (every few hours) magpie
>> - gcc fulmar  - icc treepie - clang
>>
>> 2) single branch/locale, CLOBBER, built once a week magpie2 - gcc
>> fulmar2 - icc treepie - clang
>>
>> 3) single branch/locale, recursive CLOBBER, built once a month
>
> Check.  Not those "2" names though.

Sure. That was just for illustration purposes.

>> I don't particularly mind the number of animals, although I was
>> shooting for lower number.
>
> Consider that if the recursive clobber fails, we don't want that
> failure to appear "diluted" among many successes of runs using the
> same animal with non-recursive clobber.
>
>> The only question is - should we use 3 animals for the recursive
>> CLOBBER too? I mean, one for each compiler?
>
> I guess it depends how likely we think that a different compiler
> will change the behavior of the shared invalidation queue.  Somebody
> else would have to answer that.  If not, then clearly we need only 5
> animals.

Well, I think you're forgetting CLOBBER_FREED_MEMORY - that's not just
about the invalidation queue. And I think we've been bitten by compilers
optimizing out parts of the code before (e.g. because we relied on
undefined behaviour).

regards
Tomas

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: pg_class.relpages/allvisible probably shouldn't be a int4
От: Tomas Vondra
Сообщение: Re: Sending out a request for more buildfarm animals?