Re: Assigning a timestamp without timezone to a timestamp

От chrisj
Тема Re: Assigning a timestamp without timezone to a timestamp
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Hi Andrew,

Finally got around to trying to implement your solution.

It works fine with fixed offset timezones, but when I try it with EST5EDT
I get the following:
protocal2=> select start_datetime,cast(cast(cast(start_datetime as
timestamp(0) without time zone) as varchar)||' '||B.timezone_ch as
timestamp(0) with time zone) from reservation A, location B where  appt_key
= 7 and locn_key = 102 ;
ERROR:  invalid input syntax for type timestamp with time zone: "2006-07-13
09:20:00 EST5EDT"

when I change timezone_ch to EST it works like a charm:
protocal2=> select start_datetime,cast(cast(cast(start_datetime as
timestamp(0) without time zone) as varchar)||' '||B.timezone_ch as
timestamp(0) with time zone) from reservation A, location B where  appt_key
= 7 and locn_key = 102 ;    start_datetime     |      timestamptz
------------------------+------------------------2006-07-13 09:20:00-04 | 2006-07-13 10:20:00-04
(1 row)

Any thoughts?

On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 01:06:00PM -0700, chrisj wrote:
> If only all time zones were fixed offset timezones life would be so much
> simpler.

Indeed.

> Unfortunately the main area of deployment of my app will beToronto which
> is
> on EDT which is not a fixed offsets timezone.  I hope/assume your solution
> works with "EDT" instead of "-3", I will test it soon.

Should do, although you'll need more than EDT.  EDT is also fixed:
it's UTC-4.  EST5EDT isn't, though, so you could use that (you'd need
to improve your schema, though, because you had char(3) there, and
not all time zones are 3 characters long).  But to answer your
question, yes, it works.  I just tried it.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
Information security isn't a technological problem.  It's an economics
problem.    --Bruce Schneier

TIP 1: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate      subscribe-nomail command to

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

От: Markus Schaber
Сообщение: Re: Foreign key reference counting strategy?
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Assigning a timestamp without timezone to a timestamp