Re: Oracle 10g Express - any danger for Postgres?

От Ian Harding
Тема Re: Oracle 10g Express - any danger for Postgres?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 11/1/05, Andrew Rawnsley <andrew.rawnsley@investoranalytics.com> wrote:

> They actually did make _some_ strides. The installer actually works
> consistently (knock on veneer-covered-pressboard), which is something I
> haven't seen since the pre-8i text-mode installs...
>
> Doesn't quite compare to the 5 minute untar/config/build/install/create
> database cycle we're used to with PG however.

Or the ten second rpm -i...

I've only ever installed Oracle once, but I was offended by the
REQUIREMENT of a gui to install the thing.  I managed to just install
the X client and connect from another machine, but still, that seems
whack to me.  Plus I had to run a command line "installer" for the
particular Linux flavor that "prepared" the system for me to install
Oracle.  Yikes.  I don't see a single MySQL fanboi going through that
if their biggest beef about PostgreSQL (besides how PAINFULLY slow it
is ;^) is how horribly difficult it is to install and configure.

Having said all that, I will probably dabble in it since it fattens up
the resume...

От: Martijn van Oosterhout
Сообщение: Re: Backend connection pooling memleak
От: Douglas McNaught
Сообщение: Re: Disappearing Records