Обсуждение: Oracle 10g Express - any danger for Postgres?

Oracle 10g Express - any danger for Postgres?

От
Nikolay Samokhvalov
Дата:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/database/xe/index.html
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5920796.html

'Oracle intends to release a free version of its database, a reaction
to the growing competitive pressure from low-end open-source
databases.'

Your thoughts?

--
Best regards,
Nikolay

Re: Oracle 10g Express - any danger for Postgres?

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Nikolay Samokhvalov wrote:
> http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/database/xe/index.html
> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5920796.html
>
> 'Oracle intends to release a free version of its database, a reaction
> to the growing competitive pressure from low-end open-source
> databases.'
>
> Your thoughts?

It probably has little impact on us.  It is useful perhaps for developer
servers at existing Oracle sites.

Re: Oracle 10g Express - any danger for Postgres?

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005, Bruce Momjian wrote:

>> 'Oracle intends to release a free version of its database, a reaction
>> to the growing competitive pressure from low-end open-source
>> databases.'
>>
>> Your thoughts?
>
> It probably has little impact on us.  It is useful perhaps for developer
> servers at existing Oracle sites.

I hope one day Oracle will understand that "Free Software is not Free
Beer".

--
Devrim GUNDUZ
Kivi Bilişim Teknolojileri - http://www.kivi.com.tr

Re: Oracle 10g Express - any danger for Postgres?

От
"Florian G. Pflug"
Дата:
Nikolay Samokhvalov wrote:
 > http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/database/xe/index.html
 > http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5920796.html
 >
 > 'Oracle intends to release a free version of its database, a reaction
 > to the growing competitive pressure from low-end open-source
 > databases.'
 >
 > Your thoughts?
Hm..... so now I can choose between a crippled binary-only oracle
version with no support, and
free-as-in-speech-and-beer  postgresql with excellent support on the
mailing list?

I think I'll stay with postgresql ;-)

Just image you are running a production system on oracle 10g express,
and reach
the 4gb limit.... It's already bad enough that some versions of ms
exchange limit your
datafile to 16gb - I don't want my database to do the same..... thanks...

greetings, Florian Pflug

Re: Oracle 10g Express - any danger for Postgres?

От
Richard_D_Levine@raytheon.com
Дата:
Highlights from the license:  My thoughts.  This is not free, not even as
in beer.  Only good for a year.  No production use (which is more
restrictive than no commercial use. IANAL)  You have to pay when they
release it.

Quotes (with my bolding)

grants to you a no-charge trial license to use the pre-production beta
version of the Oracle Database Express Edition  software, documentation and
product training (the "Software")  provided to you by Oracle solely for
evaluation purposes until January 31, 2006.   Either party may terminate
the license for the Software at any time.  Upon termination, you shall
cease using the Software.

You may not use the Software for any commercial or production purpose.

You shall not: d) disclose results of any benchmark tests of any Software
to any third party without Oracle's prior written approval;

if and when the Software is released in production, you may acquire
licenses for the production version of the Software in accordance with
Oracle's then standard licensing and pricing terms and conditions (which,
at Oracle's sole discretion, may allow license of only some rather than all
of the features of the Software).

pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org wrote on 10/30/2005 01:24:52 PM:

> http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/database/xe/index.html
> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5920796.html
>
> 'Oracle intends to release a free version of its database, a reaction
> to the growing competitive pressure from low-end open-source
> databases.'
>
> Your thoughts?
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Nikolay

Re: Oracle 10g Express - any danger for Postgres?

От
"Wes Williams"
Дата:
I presume this thread was all brought about by the /. article
http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/10/31/0659254&tid=221&tid=1
87

According to the link provided in the /. article
(http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5920796.html), Oracle has *proposed* a
free version by "year end".  Obviously this means that current download of
Oracle 10g Express Edition is *not yet available under a free license.*

Highlights from the license:  My thoughts.  This is not free, not even as
in beer.  Only good for a year.  No production use (which is more
restrictive than no commercial use. IANAL)  You have to pay when they
release it.

Quotes (with my bolding)

grants to you a no-charge trial license to use the pre-production beta
version of the Oracle Database Express Edition  software, documentation and
product training (the "Software")  provided to you by Oracle solely for
evaluation purposes until January 31, 2006.   Either party may terminate
the license for the Software at any time.  Upon termination, you shall
cease using the Software.

You may not use the Software for any commercial or production purpose.

You shall not: d) disclose results of any benchmark tests of any Software
to any third party without Oracle's prior written approval;

if and when the Software is released in production, you may acquire
licenses for the production version of the Software in accordance with
Oracle's then standard licensing and pricing terms and conditions (which,
at Oracle's sole discretion, may allow license of only some rather than all
of the features of the Software).

pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org wrote on 10/30/2005 01:24:52 PM:

> http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/database/xe/index.html
> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5920796.html
>
> 'Oracle intends to release a free version of its database, a reaction
> to the growing competitive pressure from low-end open-source
> databases.'
>
> Your thoughts?
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Nikolay

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Oracle 10g Express - any danger for Postgres?

От
Alex Turner
Дата:
I assume they are probably thinking of a free for non-commercial use,
which is great and all, but I assume that like the majority of folks
here, I am using postgres very much for commercial use, and not just
to run my personal website!  So I would say it's not a big deal,
infact it's not even a small deal, it's really nothing.

Alex.

On 10/31/05, Wes Williams <wes_williams@fcbonline.net> wrote:
> I presume this thread was all brought about by the /. article
> http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/10/31/0659254&tid=221&tid=1
> 87
>
> According to the link provided in the /. article
> (http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5920796.html), Oracle has *proposed* a
> free version by "year end".  Obviously this means that current download of
> Oracle 10g Express Edition is *not yet available under a free license.*

Дата:
Perhaps I'm the only one to actually have read the article?

Oracle 10g Express Edition HAS been available for free for development
purposes with the previously posted and reviewed limited licenses for quite
some time now.

The news the zdnet.com article is reporting suggests Oracle WILL, by years
end, make the same software available for free - even in production and
commercial use.  The Oracle 10g Express Edition is still limited software by
means of hardware resources available to the database and a 4Gb [user] data
file limit.

pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org wrote on 10/31/2005 12:02:07 PM:

> Perhaps I'm the only one to actually have read the article?

Okay, yeah.  I went straight for the license.  I have now read the article
and agree with you.

Re: Oracle 10g Express - any danger for Postgres?

От
Chris Browne
Дата:
wes_williams@fcbonline.net ("Wes Williams") writes:
> Perhaps I'm the only one to actually have read the article?
>
> Oracle 10g Express Edition HAS been available for free for development
> purposes with the previously posted and reviewed limited licenses for quite
> some time now.
>
> The news the zdnet.com article is reporting suggests Oracle WILL, by
> years end, make the same software available for free - even in
> production and commercial use.  The Oracle 10g Express Edition is
> still limited software by means of hardware resources available to
> the database and a 4Gb [user] data file limit.

And I daresay that this _can_ be an attractive thing to businesses,
supposing they offer a "production release," gratis.

There are plenty of "departmental applications" out there that involve
limited amounts of data which can fit into the 4GB restriction.

If Oracle provides a way to make it easy and cheap to deploy those, it
can drive a fair bit of future Oracle business.

The fact that it appears "a joke" to people wanting to deploy big
databases doesn't prevent it from taking a painful bite out of, oh,
say, certain vendors that forgot to own their own transactional
storage engine...
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "cbbrowne.com")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/languages.html

Re: Oracle 10g Express - any danger for Postgres?

От
Richard_D_Levine@raytheon.com

pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org wrote on 10/31/2005 01:14:57 PM:

<snip>

> And I daresay that this _can_ be an attractive thing to businesses,
> supposing they offer a "production release," gratis.

<snip>
True, as long as there is no license clause for future revocation of the
free license at the vendor's whim.  Kinda like the M$ clause in their
*open* XML standard.  Also, without source, deployments still are under
threat of discontinued support.  Kinda like Solaris 9 when Sun said they
didn't know whether the x86 version would be released.

Re: Oracle 10g Express - any danger for Postgres?

От
"Wes Williams"
Дата:
Precisely the point I was trying to make sure everyone would understand
clearly.  Although I don't have a copy of Oracle's suspected new license, if
it is close to the existing license verbiage, even though it is "crippled"
by having certain hardware and software limits, those limits are per
physical server.  Therefore, anyone could simply deploy several
installations on different physical servers and have quite a collection of
Oracle databases.

One of Oracle's big selling points with this application is that it is very
painless to upgrade to their professional versions of their database by not
requiring ANY change to the existing database or applications - simply plug
your data in and go.

Judging from this, Oracle has decided to follow Microsoft's SQL Server's
free SQL program offer and also a lesson from your local crack dealer.  By
the way, I've tried both Microsoft's and Oracle's developer versions and
Oracle has a MUCH better product here at the moment.  Good luck even getting
SQL Server installed! You have to stumble upon the "right" beta for .Net 2.0
before the installer will proceed...it managed to find it in only 45
minutes!  Enough to make you kick yourself again for trying a Microsoft
product.  However, Oracle 10g Express Edition actually installs and performs
quite well.

All and all this is no "danger" to PostgreSQL's existence; though it may
slow uptake in very important markets.  I've never thought marketing was
Postgre's strong point...oddly enough, the product is.

[...]

Jan Wieck
Дата:
On 10/31/2005 1:14 PM, Chris Browne wrote:

> The fact that it appears "a joke" to people wanting to deploy big
> databases doesn't prevent it from taking a painful bite out of, oh,
> say, certain vendors that forgot to own their own transactional
> storage engine...

It's not a joke. It fits exactly the "small web application" needs. Who
will want to pay for a commercial MySQL license when they can run Oracle
for free? Remember, the "open source" aspect "can fix it yourself" isn't
really existent in the MySQL world, so those customers aren't really
looking for open source, they are looking for cheap or free. With the
control over InnoDB, Oracle has an influence on what XE is competing
against. Both offers compete with MS SQL Express as well, so they hit a
lot of small database competition with one stone.

Jan

Re: Oracle 10g Express - any danger for Postgres?

Дата:
Jan Wieck <JanWieck@Yahoo.com> writes:
> On 10/31/2005 1:14 PM, Chris Browne wrote:
>> The fact that it appears "a joke" to people wanting to deploy big
>> databases doesn't prevent it from taking a painful bite out of, oh,
>> say, certain vendors that forgot to own their own transactional
>> storage engine...

> It's not a joke. It fits exactly the "small web application" needs. Who
> will want to pay for a commercial MySQL license when they can run Oracle
> for free?

People who can't figure out how to configure Postgres are not likely to
get far with Oracle ;-).  Unless Oracle has made some *huge* strides in
ease of installation/administration with 10g, I see this making
practically no dent in MySQL.  Or PG for that matter.  All they're
really likely to accomplish is to cannibalize some of their own low-end
sales.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Oracle 10g Express - any danger for Postgres?

От
"Wes Williams"
Дата:
Still, at least Oracle 10g provides for an easy GUI from which to configure
and perform imports and exports of data.  Some of use have need for a
database that can dump all data and accept another series of new data...only
to be dropped again in a few days.  The GUI tools make this MUCH easier -
especially when dealing with many different types of tables and data
formats.

    The GUI file import/export is one feature I would love to see next to
enhance pgAdmin III!