Searching BLOB

От James Watson
Тема Searching BLOB
Дата
Re: Searching BLOB  ("John Sidney-Woollett" <johnsw@wardbrook.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Hi,
I am not 100% sure what the best solution would be, so I was hoping
someone could point me in the right direction.

I usually develop in MS tools, such as .net, ASP, SQL Server etc...,
but I really want to expand my skillset and learn as much about Postgresqlas possible.

What I need to do, is design a DB that will index and store
approximately 300 word docs, each with a size no more that 1MB.  They
need to be able to seacrh the word documents for keyword/phrases to be
able to identify which one to use.

So, I need to write 2 web interfaces. A front end and a back end. Front
end for the users who will search for their documents, and a backend
for an admin person to upload new/ammended documents to the DB to be
searchable.

NOW.....  I could do this in the usual MS tools that I work with using
BLOB's and the built in Full-text searching that comes with SQL Server,
but i don't have these to work with at the mometn. I am working with PostGres & JSP
pages

What I was hoping someone could help me out with was identifying the
best possible solution to use.

1. How can I store the word doc's in the DB, would it be best to use a
BLOB data type?

2. Does Postgres support full text searching of a word document once it
is loaded into the BLOB column & how would this work?   Would I have to
unload each BLOB object, convert it back to text to search, or does
Postgres have the ability to complete the full-text search of a BLOB,
like MSSQL Server & Oracle do?

3. Is there a way to export the Word Doc From the BLOB colum and dump
it into a PDF format (I guess I am asking if someone has seen or
written a PDF generator script/storedProc for Postgres)?

If someone could help me out, it would be greatly appreciated.

cheers,
James