Re: postgresql-archive.org

От Justin Clift
Тема Re: postgresql-archive.org
Дата
Список pgsql-www
On 2018-08-23 01:12, Steve Atkins wrote:
>> On Aug 22, 2018, at 12:08 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I kinda wonder if the postgres community shouldn't do something about
>> http://www.postgresql-archive.org/.  The name makes it sound somewhat
>> official, but it doesn't appear to be.  At least I do not know who
>> runs
>> it. Does somebody else?
>
> There are lots of domains that contain "postgresql", most of which
> contain postgresql-related content and which aren't operated by
> PGDG.
>

>> Given the, presumed, unofficial nature I'm not really ok with them
>> serving ads while benefiting from an official sounding name.
>>
>> But even without that issue, I think there's two reasonable concerns:
>> For one, we do not know how reliable the operator is. They could be
>> manipulating e.g. attachements to contain maliscious contents.  The
>> second, and more likely, issue is that it's likely that the offering
>> will cease to exist and the links in our archive will point into the
>> void.
>
> There are two entities involved. The archiving is being done by
> nabble.com,
> which is what they do. They do it quite well, though I find their
> advertising
> overly aggressive and crappy, even for an advertising backed service.
>
> And there's the person who requested Nabble archive our lists and
> pointed postgresql-archive.org at it. (They may be one and the same,
> but it really doesn't matter).
>
> Neither of them is doing anything wrong. They're, between them,
> providing
> a service we don't.
>
> If "we" wanted them to stop archiving "our" lists then I'm sure nabble
> would
> stop if asked (or the nabble bot could be unsubscribed). The main thing
> that would do would be to remove a service some people find useful.
>
> Making our archives more useful so that nabble provides no added value
> does seem like a more productive first step.

In the meantime, would it be optimal for us to try and get that
postgresql-archive host to remove the sleazy ads?

 From a slightly different angle, maybe if we set up some kind of
"official"
Nabble thing instead - without any ads or sleazy crap - which we could
point
to instead?  (not sure if this is even possible, it's just a concept)

If that would work, then the postgresql-archive place wouldn't be
providing
a useful unique service to our Community any more, so we could direct
them
towards shutting down or focusing on some other project down.

Thoughts? :)

+ Justin