Re: Removing duplicate records from a bulk upload (rationale behind selecting a method)

От Marc Mamin
Тема Re: Removing duplicate records from a bulk upload (rationale behind selecting a method)
Дата
Список pgsql-general

>>    Seems promising but could you provide me a reference to PostgreSQL
>>    documentation regarding this "a%8=*" feature?
>>    Best

> % is the modulus operator.
>
>Assuming "a" is an integer (I don't remember), then doing 8 selects of "a modulus 8" = for each of the possible results (0..7)? will each select about 1/8 of the entire table (I would guess) and the end result put together, they will end up selecting all of the original table. I don't know, myself, why this would be faster. But I'm not any kind of a PostgreSQL expert either.

yes.
Extracting unique values from very large sets is not for free,
neither from the I/O nor from the cpu point of view
spreading the tasks on more CPUs should reduce I/O.

(Does your huge table fit in RAM ?)

If you don't have int values available for the % operator, you may also consider
(hashtext(value))/%, but the extra work may result in no benefit.
hashtext is not documented as it is not garanteed to stay stables in future Postgres release,
but is safe in such a case  (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=postgres+hashtext+partition).

Another point is that I'm not sure that all threads will grep on a shared scan on a freshly created table
where the visiblity hint bit is not yet set:

   (see head comment in http://doxygen.postgresql.org/syncscan_8c_source.html)

...because reading a table for the first time implies to rewrite it:

http://www.cybertec.at/speeding-up-things-with-hint-bits/

You'll be able to avoid this extra I/O in upcoming 9.4 thanks to the new COPY FREEZE option:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/interactive/sql-copy.html

hmmm,
on the other hand, I suppose that you will avoid the extra I/O for the hint bit
if you first copy your data in a temp table, but then you won't be able to parallelize the job
as other transactions won't see the data.
Moreover you need to pay attention to how much work_mem you can afford to each transaction,
knowing you have x of them running concurrently.

So at the end I'm not sure if multiple threads will help here.
I'm using this approach in aggregations which are more cpu intensive than a simple distinct.

I'm looking forward to see your tests results :)

Marc Mamin

От: David G Johnston
Сообщение: Re: Removing duplicate records from a bulk upload (rationale behind selecting a method)
От: Alan Nilsson
Сообщение: Re: pgxs question - linking c-functions to external libraries