Re: Removing duplicate records from a bulk upload (rationale behind selecting a method)

От Daniel Begin
Тема Re: Removing duplicate records from a bulk upload (rationale behind selecting a method)
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Thank Marc (and all others)

I knew that nothing was for free and understanding where the costs come from would provide me with some rationale to make my choice!

However, I understand from your answer that there is no definitive approach to do it right at this time (considering my specific context). Since the tables are quite similar (number of fields and data types), I will then probably explore some of the promising approaches proposed so far (below) to get facts.

a) select distinct * into newtable from oldtable;

b) select a,b,c into newtable from oldtable group by a,b,c;

c) select distinct a,b,c into newtable from oldtable where a%6=* group by a,b,c;

d) select a,b,c into newtable from oldtable where a%6=* group by a,b,c;

c&d will be run after having set the visibility bit with a select count. Running on 8 cores, only 6 will be used (a%6=*)

Something else to add/replace on scenarios above (a-d) ?

Before going further, here are some context/concerns you may wish to comment …

- Most of the tables do not fit in my computer’s 32GB memory – since they are usually between 35GB and 350GB;

- All the tables have a bigint ID I can use with the modulo operator (id%6=*);

Working on Windows platform…

- work_mem: 1024MB

- maintenance_work_mem: 16384 (Understand the value must be significantly larger than work_mem)

- shared_buffers: 128MB (Understand that on Windows the useful range is 64MB to 512MB)

Waiting comments and hoping to get back soon with useful results

Daniel

От: Alan Nilsson
Сообщение: Re: pgxs question - linking c-functions to external libraries
От: Jonathan Vanasco
Сообщение: function indexes, index only scan and sorting