Re: How to clear log files

От Plugge, Joe R.
Тема Re: How to clear log files
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

What platform?  If in Unix/Linux, just:

 cat /dev/null > postgres_logfile

or                   > postgres_logfile

Most running programs don’t like it when you delete a file with an open file handle but you it doesn’t mind if you clear it on the fly.  Not sure how to do this in a Windows environment.

From: pgsql-admin-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgsql-admin-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Campbell, Lance
Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 3:13 PM
To: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
Subject: [ADMIN] How to clear log files

PostgreSql:8.4.1

Is there a way for me to tell postgres to clear the log file.  Example:  I have log files created with names corresponding to the days of the week.  This way they overwrite each other every week.  When I deploy software enhancements I would like to clear the log file for the day without having to stop postgres.  This way anything I see I know was after the deployment of my enhancements.  I tried to just delete the file with postgres running.  I found that it did not recreate the log file so I was forced to restart postgres.

Is there a command that might clear a log file or force it to rotate?

Thanks,

Lance Campbell

Software Architect/DBA/Project Manager

Web Services at Public Affairs

217-333-0382

От: Scott Mead
Сообщение: Re: How to clear log files
От: "Campbell, Lance"
Сообщение: pg_rotate_logfile function does not appear to work