Re: Relation extension scalability

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Relation extension scalability
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 8:54 PM, Petr Jelinek <petr@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> I am not talking about extension locks, the lock queue can be long because
> there is concurrent DDL for example and then once DDL finishes suddenly 100
> connections that tried to insert into table will try to get extension lock
> and this will add 2000 new pages when much fewer was actually needed. I
> guess that's fine as it's corner case and it's only 16MB even in such
> extreme case.

I don't really understand this part about concurrent DDL.  If there
were concurrent DDL going on, presumably other backends would be
blocked on the relation lock, not the relation extension lock - and it
doesn't seem likely that you'd often have a huge pile-up of inserters
waiting on concurrent DDL.  But I guess it could happen.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

От: Andres Freund
Сообщение: Re: Background Processes and reporting
От: Peter Geoghegan
Сообщение: Re: amcheck (B-Tree integrity checking tool)