Re: Linux Downloads page change

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Linux Downloads page change
Дата
Список pgsql-www
On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 4:25 PM, Scott Mead <scottm@openscg.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 1:53 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jul  9, 2012 at 10:30:12AM -0400, Scott Mead wrote:
>> >     > Given that the whole idea of the redesign is to help people figure
>> > out
>> >     > why they should choose the different options, can you provide a
>> > patch
>> >     > to that page that actually includes a good description of *why*
>> > these
>> >     > would be preferable to the standard RPMs?
>> >
>> >     Absolutely, I'm boarding a flight now, but will work on it once I
>> > hit
>> >     10,000 ft.
>> >
>> > PFA a patch for the linux download pages
>>
>> > They are designed for production server installation where a GUI is not
>> > available and consistency across multiple distributions is a
>> > requirement.
>>
>> What installers require a GUI?  I thought the EnterpriseDB installers
>> have a no-gui option?  Do you mean they include no GUI binaries like
>> PGAdmin?
>

> Two things specifically:
>
>   1) A no-gui option
>     The bitrock installers do have this, but at times, the technology isn't
> perfect.  Many times, people want to just run a command and have it install.
> The idea with an RPM of these binaries is that we get the benefit of the
> same binaries across installers, AND lower the barrier to entry by making
> rpm -ivh ... just work.
>
>   2) no GUI binaries
>      This package is a 'server-only' install.  Same binaries, smaller
> download size, quick and simple install / start / up and running.

So it's the binaries that come out of the EnterpriseDB installers? In
that case, it should at the very least reproduce the warnings we have
about those not integrating with the local packaging system (which I
realize *is* the point of them, but that should be stated more
clearly).

And I still don't really understand why you'd *want* this over the EDB
installers, but that's being discussed elsewhere in the thread, so I'm
not going to restart it here.

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: Linux Downloads page change
От: Scott Mead
Сообщение: Re: Linux Downloads page change