Re: Linux Downloads page change

От Scott Mead
Тема Re: Linux Downloads page change
Дата
Re: Linux Downloads page change
Список pgsql-www

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 1:53 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
On Mon, Jul  9, 2012 at 10:30:12AM -0400, Scott Mead wrote:
>     > Given that the whole idea of the redesign is to help people figure out
>     > why they should choose the different options, can you provide a patch
>     > to that page that actually includes a good description of *why* these
>     > would be preferable to the standard RPMs?
>
>     Absolutely, I'm boarding a flight now, but will work on it once I hit
>     10,000 ft.
>
> PFA a patch for the linux download pages

> They are designed for production server installation where a GUI is not
> available and consistency across multiple distributions is a
> requirement.

What installers require a GUI?  I thought the EnterpriseDB installers
have a no-gui option?  Do you mean they include no GUI binaries like
PGAdmin?

Two things specifically:

  1) A no-gui option
    The bitrock installers do have this, but at times, the technology isn't perfect.  Many times, people want to just run a command and have it install.  The idea with an RPM of these binaries is that we get the benefit of the same binaries across installers, AND lower the barrier to entry by making rpm -ivh ... just work.

  2) no GUI binaries
     This package is a 'server-only' install.  Same binaries, smaller download size, quick and simple install / start / up and running.

--Scottie

--
  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

От: Simon Riggs
Сообщение: Re: Linux Downloads page change
От: Scott Mead
Сообщение: Re: Linux Downloads page change