Re: [pgsql-www] planet in more languages

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: [pgsql-www] planet in more languages
Дата
Список pgsql-www

On Sat, Jul 1, 2017 at 3:48 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 6:09 AM, Jaime Casanova <
> jaime.casanova@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> > > The planet page in non-english still comes with english menu
> > > entries and headlines. I don't think we need (or even want) the
> > > registration interface to be translated, but the headlines about
> > > teams and feeds and such probably should be. And the plain texts.
> > >

> > what about the case in which someone uses es_fr? it should come in
> > spanish or french?  translation of the interface should, IMHO,
> > happen at a different level (and that is a different patch)
>
> es_fr means the french version of spanish, does it not? I'm not sure even
> what that is :) But if it has it's own language code, it should be treated
> like everything else?

Not really ... codes like es_AR are supposed to mean "Spanish, in
Argentina" (so you can have fr_CA and en_CA for French and English in
Canada, and also es_ES and es_CL for Spanish in Spain or Chile).  This
configures not only language but also things like currency format,
thousands separator, etc, which are country-specific rather than
language-specific.

Roght.

But what we want to do here is not that kind of language-in-country
specific code, but rather something that means "list me all blog posts
in either Spanish or French".  Which would be this "es_fr" weird thing
we've just invented.  Maybe we should specify that differently -- maybe
separate them with commas instead of underscore.  So
planet.pg.org/fr,es,en/ would mean entries in either French, Spanish,
English.

Oh, i was not aware there was such a plan. I don't think that was mentioned anywhere (well, reading the submission once knowing that I guess it was, but without knowing that I didn't realize it).

Anyway, for that to be the idea, then I think that yes we should specify it differently. If it looks *almost* like the syntax used for language/country, then it will be misunderstood by more people than just me. And you would also need to deal with collissions - for example "pt_br" uses that syntax but is AIUI actually supposed to be treated differently?

Commas require escaping in URLs I believe (except in the querystring) so I don't think that's the best choice. Maybe just use a dot? So /fr.en.es/?

And this being significantly more involved than just picking one language, we *definitely* need an interface for people to select what they want.

As for what language should the interface be in, I suggest to use the
first language listed in the language specification.  If you use
/fr,es/ then show the interface in French, but if you use /es,fr/ then
list it in Spanish -- though in both cases you would see exactly the
same blog entries.

If we want them to be different, let's specify them fully. So in your example, it'd be /fr/fr,es/ (maybe not comma, but that's separate). That'd make it very clear to both the user and the system what was intended.

But again, we very definitely need an interface for the user to set this up, we can't expect people to figure something like that out automatically.

--

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

От: Justin Clift
Сообщение: Re: [pgsql-www] planet in more languages
От: Magnus Hagander
Сообщение: Re: [pgsql-www] planet in more languages