Re: [pgsql-www] planet in more languages

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: [pgsql-www] planet in more languages
Дата
Список pgsql-www

On Sat, Jul 1, 2017 at 5:30 PM, Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> wrote:
On 1 Jul 2017, at 14:48, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:

>>> what about the case in which someone uses es_fr? it should come in
>>> spanish or french?  translation of the interface should, IMHO,
>>> happen at a different level (and that is a different patch)
>>
>> es_fr means the french version of spanish, does it not? I'm not sure even
>> what that is :) But if it has it's own language code, it should be treated
>> like everything else?
>
> Not really ... codes like es_AR are supposed to mean "Spanish, in
> Argentina" (so you can have fr_CA and en_CA for French and English in
> Canada, and also es_ES and es_CL for Spanish in Spain or Chile).  This
> configures not only language but also things like currency format,
> thousands separator, etc, which are country-specific rather than
> language-specific.
>
> But what we want to do here is not that kind of language-in-country
> specific code, but rather something that means "list me all blog posts
> in either Spanish or French".  Which would be this "es_fr" weird thing
> we've just invented.  Maybe we should specify that differently -- maybe
> separate them with commas instead of underscore.  So
> planet.pg.org/fr,es,en/ would mean entries in either French, Spanish,
> English.
>
> As for what language should the interface be in, I suggest to use the
> first language listed in the language specification.  If you use
> /fr,es/ then show the interface in French, but if you use /es,fr/ then
> list it in Spanish -- though in both cases you would see exactly the
> same blog entries.

Maybe use get variables something like this?

  planet.pg.org/fr/?langs=fr,es,en

That would be an interface lang of "fr", and showing posts in the languages
fr, es, en.  With a default to whatever the interface language is if no
?langs= variable is provided.

There's no real difference in using a querystring or using the path part of the URL (arguably it looks nicer using just he URL, but that's mostly irrelevant), but yes clearly separating the language of the interface vs the language of the posts I think we definitely want.

--

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

От: Magnus Hagander
Сообщение: Re: [pgsql-www] planet in more languages
От: Stephen Frost
Сообщение: Re: [pgsql-www] planet in more languages