Re: Conflict Detection and Resolution

От Nisha Moond
Тема Re: Conflict Detection and Resolution
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jun 5, 2024 at 7:29 PM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 4, 2024 at 9:37 AM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Can you share the use case of "earliest_timestamp_wins" resolution
> > method? It seems after the initial update on the local node, it will
> > never allow remote update to succeed which sounds a bit odd. Jan has
> > shared this and similar concerns about this resolution method, so I
> > have added him to the email as well.
> >
> I can not think of a use case exactly in this context but it's very
> common to have such a use case while designing a distributed
> application with multiple clients.  For example, when we are doing git
> push concurrently from multiple clients it is expected that the
> earliest commit wins.

Here are more use cases of the "earliest_timestamp_wins" resolution method:
1) Applications where the record of first occurrence of an event is
important. For example, sensor based applications like earthquake
detection systems, capturing the first seismic wave's time is crucial.
2) Scheduling systems, like appointment booking, prioritize the
earliest request when handling concurrent ones.
3) In contexts where maintaining chronological order is important -
  a) Social media platforms display comments ensuring that the
earliest ones are visible first.
  b) Finance transaction processing systems rely on timestamps to
prioritize the processing of transactions, ensuring that the earliest
transaction is handled first

--
Thanks,
Nisha

От: Heikki Linnakangas
Сообщение: Re: ResourceOwner refactoring
От: Dilip Kumar
Сообщение: Re: Compress ReorderBuffer spill files using LZ4