Re: Progress of ALTER TABLE on inheritance-partitioned table?

От Michael Guissine
Тема Re: Progress of ALTER TABLE on inheritance-partitioned table?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
The short answer is don't do that if the table is pretty big unless you can afford prolonged outage. The better way is to add new column,  add triggers to populate it on insert/update/delete, backfill, and swap

On Fri, Oct 27, 2023, 09:34 Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:
Pg 9.6.24 (Yes, I know; it's out of my control.)

I'm ALTERing that table to change a column from INTEGER to BIGINT. Of
course, all of the partitions are pretty big.

Even though it's one giant transaction, is there any way for me to monitor
it's progress?

--
Born in Arizona, moved to Babylonia.

От: Ron
Сообщение: Progress of ALTER TABLE on inheritance-partitioned table?
От: Rozad Khalaf
Сообщение: Introducing PostgresFly: A New PostgreSQL Installation Tool