Re: Performance degradation of REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW

От Masahiko Sawada
Тема Re: Performance degradation of REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 11:07 PM Tomas Vondra
<tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> On 5/11/21 11:04 AM, Masahiko Sawada wrote:

> >> Hmm.  Is that really something we should do after feature freeze?  A
> >> 25% degradation for matview refresh may be a problem for a lot of
> >> users and could be an upgrade stopper.  Another thing we could do is
> >> also to revert 7db0cd2 and 39b66a9 from the v14 tree, and work on a
> >> proper solution for this performance problem for matviews for 15~.
> >
> > I think the approach proposed by Andres eliminates the extra vmbuffer
> > reads as much as possible. But even with the patch, there still is 5%
> > degradation (and there is no way to disable inserting frozen tuples at
> > matview refresh). Which could be a problem for some users. I think
> > it’s hard to completely eliminate the overhead so we might need to
> > consider another approach like having matview refresh use
> > heap_multi_insert() instead of heap_insert().
> >

> I think it's way too late to make such significant change (switching to
> heap_multi_insert) for v14 :-(

Right.

> Moreover, I doubt it affects just matview
> refresh - why wouldn't it affect other similar use cases? More likely
> it's just the case that was discovered.

I've not tested yet but I guess COPY FROM …  FREEZE using heap_insert
would similarly be affected since it also uses heap_insert() with
TABLE_INSERT_FROZEN.

> > I think the changes for heap_multi_insert() are fine so we can revert
> > only heap_insert() part if we revert something from the v14 tree,
> > although we will end up not inserting frozen tuples into toast tables.
> >

> I'd be somewhat unhappy about reverting just this bit, because it'd mean
> that we freeze rows in the main table but not rows in the TOAST tables
> (that was kinda why we concluded we need the heap_insert part too).
>
> I'm still a bit puzzled where does the extra overhead (in cases when
> freeze is not requested) come from, TBH.

Which cases do you mean? Doesn't matview refresh always request to
freeze tuples even after applying the patch proposed on this thread?

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada
EDB:  https://www.enterprisedb.com/

От: Andrew Dunstan
Сообщение: Re: Why do we have perl and sed versions of Gen_dummy_probes?
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Some other CLOBBER_CACHE_ALWAYS culprits