Re: Performance degradation of REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: Performance degradation of REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW
Дата
Re: Performance degradation of REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 5/11/21 11:04 AM, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
> On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 4:37 PM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, May 05, 2021 at 03:04:53PM +0200, Tomas Vondra wrote:
>>> Thanks, that looks promising. I repeated the tests I did on 26/4, and the
>>> results look like this:
>>>
>>> old (0c7d3bb99): 497ms
>>> master:          621ms
>>> patched:         531ms
>>>
>>> So yeah, that's a bit improvement - it does not remove the regression
>>> entirely, but +5% is much better than +25%.
>>
>> Hmm.  Is that really something we should do after feature freeze?  A
>> 25% degradation for matview refresh may be a problem for a lot of
>> users and could be an upgrade stopper.  Another thing we could do is
>> also to revert 7db0cd2 and 39b66a9 from the v14 tree, and work on a
>> proper solution for this performance problem for matviews for 15~.
>
> I think the approach proposed by Andres eliminates the extra vmbuffer
> reads as much as possible. But even with the patch, there still is 5%
> degradation (and there is no way to disable inserting frozen tuples at
> matview refresh). Which could be a problem for some users. I think
> it’s hard to completely eliminate the overhead so we might need to
> consider another approach like having matview refresh use
> heap_multi_insert() instead of heap_insert().

I think it's way too late to make such significant change (switching to
heap_multi_insert) for v14 :-( Moreover, I doubt it affects just matview
refresh - why wouldn't it affect other similar use cases? More likely
it's just the case that was discovered.

> I think the changes for heap_multi_insert() are fine so we can revert
> only heap_insert() part if we revert something from the v14 tree,
> although we will end up not inserting frozen tuples into toast tables.

I'd be somewhat unhappy about reverting just this bit, because it'd mean
that we freeze rows in the main table but not rows in the TOAST tables
(that was kinda why we concluded we need the heap_insert part too).

I'm still a bit puzzled where does the extra overhead (in cases when
freeze is not requested) come from, TBH. Intuitively, I'd hope there's a
way to eliminate that entirely, and only pay the cost when requested
(with the expectation that it's cheaper than freezing it that later).

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

От: Andrew Dunstan
Сообщение: Re: Another modest proposal for reducing CLOBBER_CACHE_ALWAYS runtime
От: Dilip Kumar
Сообщение: Re: [Patch] ALTER SYSTEM READ ONLY