Re: Could postgres12 support millions of sequences? (like 10 million)

От pabloa98
Тема Re: Could postgres12 support millions of sequences? (like 10 million)
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 9:04 PM John W Higgins <wishdev@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 8:13 PM pabloa98 <pabloa98@gmail.com> wrote:

I hope I described the problem completely.

1) What is a group - does it exist prior to records being inserted? How many groups are you working with? How long do they live for?
2) #1 but for element
Group and elements are 2 numbers assigned in another part of the business. They exist before codes are created. They will continue existing after each code is deleted. If they are deleted is because we are evicting all that branch of information from the database. When that happens everything goes using FK.

3) How many records per second per group per element are you anticipating? Are their spikes?
We are thinking about 100K each 2 to 3 months max. At business hours (8 hours each day).

4) How long does a group/element live for? You can put 10 record per second over 3 years and still be under 100 million records (the size of your seq_number)
That depends. Some group/element will leave seconds because they are used for testing. Others will live years.

5) How quickly do you need the seq_number - if you batch created them once a minute would that work? Does it need to be quicker than that? Slower than that? Or is it an immediate need?
We will need each code is created in less than 1 second (1 second is ok if that is the max time). Regarding to the pair group/element, it is ok if they take no more than 3 seconds top.

That's a starting point.....

John W Higgins

От: pabloa98
Сообщение: Re: Could postgres12 support millions of sequences? (like 10 million)
От: pabloa98
Сообщение: Re: Could postgres12 support millions of sequences? (like 10 million)