Re: A bug reporter surprised by their information going to public mailing list.

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: A bug reporter surprised by their information going to public mailing list.
Дата
Список pgsql-www
On Sun, Oct 4, 2020 at 4:05 AM David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sun, 4 Oct 2020 at 22:42, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> I also wonder if we should just remove the basically identical text from the top of the form, now that it sits with the confirmation checkbox? Or keep them both in the vain hope that people might read at least one of them? :)

The original text I proposed was much more simple than what Jonathan's
patch has. I had thought a simple "I understand that this report will
be emailed to a public mailing list" would have been ok. If the user
was surprised by that, then they could go back and read the text we
expect them to have ready already to find out the details.

Perhaps the more verbose wording for the checkbox makes the original
warning partially redundant, but my vote would be to simplify the
checkbox text to something more like what I originally proposed rather
than remove the mention of it from the top.

+1

The savebutton probably could just read "Post to Public List"

I'd probably skip the checkbox and add "(public)" after Name, Email, and Details

It puts the word public right next to the three fields that have primary public/private concern for a submitter plus on the final button.  The paragraph next to a checkbox is probably only just a little less eye-glazing than the paragraphs of text they already skimmed over and missed the public detail.  They might just see a checkbox that they need to check and do it to move on.  The field headers are short and so the added text is obvious and succinct.  As David Rowley said, if they have a WTF moment they can read the above verbiage more closely.

David J.

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

От: Joe Conway
Сообщение: Re: Wiki editor request
От: "David G. Johnston"
Сообщение: Re: A bug reporter surprised by their information going to public mailing list.