Re: Regarding The PGWeb Testing Harness Suite Development in GSOC 2023

От Akshat Jaimini
Тема Re: Regarding The PGWeb Testing Harness Suite Development in GSOC 2023
Дата
Список pgsql-www
I had one doubt though. Is it possible that we develop this tool as a sort of a generic tool? Like a utility that can be used by any other Organisation that needs these kind of tests for their websites? I am aware that this will be a much much later part of the project, but if we go with the Django Test Client then we would be limiting ourselves to the pgsql website only. In this case I believe Selenium would be a much better option. Even if we are not going for a generic approach, if there are any websites that do come up in the future under postgresql like the pgfarm website is as of now, shouldn't we develop this test suite so that it can be used for other websites using other technologies as well?
This is just a suggestion from my side, would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks,
Akshat Jaimini

On Thu, May 18, 2023 at 6:59 AM Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
On 5/17/23 3:40 PM, Akshat Jaimini wrote:
> Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I'll check out if django test client
> can satisfy our requirements, asap.
> The reason for using selenium earlier was to utilize its capability to
> conduct cross-browser testing

postgresql.org doesn't have too much functionality that would really
benefit from cross-browser testing. The CSS layer leverages Bootstrap,
so we defer cross-browser compatibility to that library. JavaScript is
pretty minimal, though granted it is used on a critical path, i.e. the
download page[1].

> as well but if the test client can satisfy
> the major requirements
> of the functional testing component we'll surely switch over to it for
> that module. I'll share the results as soon as I am done testing out the
> test client

That all said, I think we'd get the most impact having tests around the
other functional units, and I think the Django test client can get us
pretty far, though if it turns out we'd benefit from Selenium I'd be
happy to consider it.

Thanks,

Jonathan

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/download/

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

От: "Jonathan S. Katz"
Сообщение: Re: Regarding The PGWeb Testing Harness Suite Development in GSOC 2023
От: Mark Dilger
Сообщение: Wiki editor request