Re: Regarding The PGWeb Testing Harness Suite Development in GSOC 2023

От Akshat Jaimini
Тема Re: Regarding The PGWeb Testing Harness Suite Development in GSOC 2023
Дата
Список pgsql-www
Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I'll check out if django test client can satisfy our requirements, asap.
The reason for using selenium earlier was to utilize its capability to conduct cross-browser testing as well but if the test client can satisfy the major requirements
of the functional testing component we'll surely switch over to it for that module. I'll share the results as soon as I am done testing out the test client
.
Once again, thanks for the amazing suggestion!

Thanks,
Akshat Jaimini

On Thu, May 18, 2023 at 12:44 AM Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
On 5/17/23 2:04 PM, Akshat Jaimini wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> We are pleased to announce that the PGWeb Testing Harness Suite for the
> official website is being developed in GSOC 2023.
>
> You can checkout the repository for the project here:
> https://github.com/destrex271/pgweb-testing-harness
> <https://github.com/destrex271/pgweb-testing-harness> where we'll have
> all the tests that would be written for the website.

Thanks, this sounds like a great effort.

> It would be amazing if you guys have any suggestions like the features
> that you would like to have in the project. As of now we are focusing on
> implementing the functional tests(that includes testing out the links
> and other interactive elements on the website) using Selenium.

If you want to start with a "challenging" one, I can give a real use
case where functional tests would have helped. We have a series of pages
that render information about the release notes[1][2]. There was a
recent refactor of the code to simplify the implementation of rendering
a page like [2], but when it was deployed to production, there were
numerous errors, even after manual testing. Having a thorough set of
functional tests should have caught most of them, or at least made it
easier to ensure we were testing for more cases.

I haven't written interactive tests in awhile with Selenium, but back
when I did, my experience is that it would be too much for the kind of
interactivity the PostgreSQL website has. The Django test client[4] may
be good enough for what we need, but I'm happy to be corrected on this.

Thanks,

Jonathan

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/release/
[2] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/release/15.3/
[3] https://github.com/postgres/pgweb/blob/master/pgweb/docs/views.py#L307
[4] https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/4.2/topics/testing/tools/

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

От: "Jonathan S. Katz"
Сообщение: Re: Regarding The PGWeb Testing Harness Suite Development in GSOC 2023
От: "Jonathan S. Katz"
Сообщение: Re: Regarding The PGWeb Testing Harness Suite Development in GSOC 2023