Re: Background Processes and reporting

От Alexander Korotkov
Тема Re: Background Processes and reporting
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 12:22 AM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
On 2016-03-11 23:53:15 +0300, Vladimir Borodin wrote:
> It was many times stated in threads about waits monitoring [0, 1, 2]
> and supported by different people, but ultimately waits information
> was stored in PgBackendStatus.

Only that it isn't. It's stored in PGPROC.

Yes. And this is good. Original concept of single byte PgBackendStatus of Robert looks incompatible with any further development of wait monitoring.

This criticism is true of
the progress reporting patch, but a quick scan of the thread doesn't
show authors of the wait events patch participating there.

> Can’t we think one more time about implementation provided by Ildus
> and Alexander here [3]?

I don't think so. Afaics the proposed patch tried to do too many things
at once, and it's authors didn't listen well to criticism.

Original patch really did too many things at once.  But it was good as prototype.
We should move forward by splitting it into many smaller parts.  But we didn't because disagreement about design.

Idea of individual time measurement of every wait event met criticism because it might have high overhead [1].  This is really so at least for Windows [2]. But accessing only current values wouldn't be very useful.  We anyway need to gather some statistics.  Gathering it by sampling would be both more expensive and less accurate for majority of systems.  This is why I proposed hooks to make possible platform dependent extensions.  Robert rejects hook because he is "not a big fan of hooks as a way of resolving disagreements about the design" [3].  Besides that is actually not design issues but platform issues...

Another question is wait parameters.  We want to expose wait event with some parameters.  Robert rejects that because it *might* add additional overhead [3]. When I proposed to fit something useful into hard-won 4-bytes, Roberts claims that it is "too clever" [4].

So, situation looks like dead-end.  I have no idea how to convince Robert about any kind of advanced functionality of wait monitoring to PostgreSQL.  I'm thinking about implementing sampling extension over current infrastructure just to make community see that it sucks. Andres, it would be very nice if you have any idea how to move this situation forward.

Another aspect is that EnterpriseDB offers waits monitoring in proprietary fork [5].
SQL Session/System wait tuning diagnostics
The Dynamic Runtime Instrumentation Tools Architecture (DRITA) allows a DBA to query catalog views to determine the wait events that affect the performance of individual sessions or the system as a whole. DRITA records the number of times each event occurs as well as the time spent waiting; you can use this information to diagnose performance problems.
And they declare to measure time of individual wait events.  This is exactly thing which Robert resist so much.  So, I suspect some kind of hidden motivation here.  Probably, EBD guys just don't want to loose majority of their proprietary product over open source PostgreSQL.

------
Alexander Korotkov
The Russian Postgres Company

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: pl/pgSQL, get diagnostics and big data
От: Andres Freund
Сообщение: Re: WIP: Upper planner pathification