Re: Tuning configuration

От Gauthier, Dave
Тема Re: Tuning configuration
Дата
Windows Client App Was [Re: Tuning configuration]  (Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng@wdc.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Is there something like a freeware windows client app that does DBA
stuff for a remote server?  Sort of like TOAD for Oracle?

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Erik Jones
Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 1:34 PM
To: Konrad Neuwirth
Cc: Postgresql
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Tuning configuration

On Dec 4, 2007, at 11:17 AM, Konrad Neuwirth wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a hopefully simple question.  I've found documentation about
> the meanings of the various variables in postgres.conf -- if it comes
> to memory consumption and buffer size.  I've also found hints as to
> making them too large decreases performance.  But -- how can I measure
> how well the current settings fit? Are there tables to watch on how
> quickly things like temp tables get written out to disk vs. being held
> in memory?  We'd like to find an appropriate size for our database,
> but can't even yet say if we're in the right ballpark on a machine
> that has RAM to spare still.
>
> What can I look into?

What version of postgres are you using?  8.3 (currently in beta) has
facilities for tracking temp file creation.

Erik Jones

Software Developer | Emma(r)
erik@myemma.com
800.595.4401 or 615.292.5888
615.292.0777 (fax)

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

От: Daniel Schuchardt
Сообщение: Re: bug with >to_char('2007-12-31'::DATE, 'YYYYIW')<
От: Alvaro Herrera
Сообщение: Re: Recovering data via raw table and field separators