Обсуждение: Tuning configuration

Tuning configuration

От
"Konrad Neuwirth"
Дата:
Hello,

I have a hopefully simple question.  I've found documentation about
the meanings of the various variables in postgres.conf -- if it comes
to memory consumption and buffer size.  I've also found hints as to
making them too large decreases performance.  But -- how can I measure
how well the current settings fit? Are there tables to watch on how
quickly things like temp tables get written out to disk vs. being held
in memory?  We'd like to find an appropriate size for our database,
but can't even yet say if we're in the right ballpark on a machine
that has RAM to spare still.

What can I look into?

Thank you,
 Konrad Neuwirth

Re: Tuning configuration

От
Erik Jones
Дата:
On Dec 4, 2007, at 11:17 AM, Konrad Neuwirth wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a hopefully simple question.  I've found documentation about
> the meanings of the various variables in postgres.conf -- if it comes
> to memory consumption and buffer size.  I've also found hints as to
> making them too large decreases performance.  But -- how can I measure
> how well the current settings fit? Are there tables to watch on how
> quickly things like temp tables get written out to disk vs. being held
> in memory?  We'd like to find an appropriate size for our database,
> but can't even yet say if we're in the right ballpark on a machine
> that has RAM to spare still.
>
> What can I look into?

What version of postgres are you using?  8.3 (currently in beta) has
facilities for tracking temp file creation.

Erik Jones

Software Developer | Emma®
erik@myemma.com
800.595.4401 or 615.292.5888
615.292.0777 (fax)

Re: Tuning configuration

От
"Gauthier, Dave"
Дата:
Is there something like a freeware windows client app that does DBA
stuff for a remote server?  Sort of like TOAD for Oracle?

On Dec 4, 2007, at 11:17 AM, Konrad Neuwirth wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a hopefully simple question.  I've found documentation about
> the meanings of the various variables in postgres.conf -- if it comes
> to memory consumption and buffer size.  I've also found hints as to
> making them too large decreases performance.  But -- how can I measure
> how well the current settings fit? Are there tables to watch on how
> quickly things like temp tables get written out to disk vs. being held
> in memory?  We'd like to find an appropriate size for our database,
> but can't even yet say if we're in the right ballpark on a machine
> that has RAM to spare still.
>
> What can I look into?

What version of postgres are you using?  8.3 (currently in beta) has
facilities for tracking temp file creation.

Erik Jones

Software Developer | Emma(r)
erik@myemma.com
800.595.4401 or 615.292.5888
615.292.0777 (fax)

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Tuning configuration

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 02:21:43PM -0500, Gauthier, Dave wrote:
> Is there something like a freeware windows client app that does DBA
> stuff for a remote server?  Sort of like TOAD for Oracle?

TOAD either does or used to work for Postgres.

Windows Client App Was [Re: Tuning configuration]

От
Ow Mun Heng
Дата:
On Tue, 2007-12-04 at 14:21 -0500, Gauthier, Dave wrote:
> Is there something like a freeware windows client app that does DBA
> stuff for a remote server?  Sort of like TOAD for Oracle?

pgadmin3?
and please don't hijack threads