Re: When should I worry?

От Tom Allison
Тема Re: When should I worry?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Jun 12, 2007, at 12:00 AM, Greg Smith wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Jun 2007, Tom Allison wrote:
>
>> All of this was run on a Pentium II 450 MHz with 412MB RAM and a
>> software linear 0 pair or UDMA 66 7200RPM 8MB Cache drives (really
>> old) on seperate IDE channels with ReiserFS disk format.
>
> Sometimes it's not clear if someone can speed up what they're doing
> simply by using more expensive hardware.  In your case, I think
> it's safe to say you've got quite a bit of margin for improvement
> that way when you run into a problem.

No doubt!  But I think it's worth nothing how much performance I
*can* get out of such an old piece of hardware.

My other computer is a Cray.  No, that's the bumper sticker on my car.

My other computer is an Athlong 64 2.?GHz with a single disk but less
RAM.  It's a xen virtual machine that I'm renting, so increasing the
power of the machine is actually very easy to do, but not yet required.

But I was impressed with how well it works on such an old machine.

От: "Paul Bruin"
Сообщение: question regarding postgres
От: Adam Witney
Сообщение: Date style handling changes between 7.4.12 and 8.2.4