pgsql: On NetBSD, force dynamic symbol resolution at postmaster start.

От Tom Lane
Тема pgsql: On NetBSD, force dynamic symbol resolution at postmaster start.
Дата
Список pgsql-committers
On NetBSD, force dynamic symbol resolution at postmaster start.

The default of lazy symbol resolution means that when the postmaster
first reaches the select() call in ServerLoop, it'll need to resolve
the link to that libc entry point.  NetBSD's dynamic loader takes
an internal lock while doing that, and if a signal interrupts the
operation then there is a risk of self-deadlock should the signal
handler do anything that requires that lock, as several of the
postmaster signal handlers do.  The window for this is pretty narrow,
and timing considerations make it unlikely that a signal would arrive
right then anyway.  But it's semi-repeatable on slow single-CPU
machines, and in principle the race could happen with any hardware.

The least messy solution to this is to force binding of dynamic
symbols at postmaster start, using the "-z now" linker option.
While we're at it, also use "-z relro" so as to provide a small
security gain.

It's not entirely clear whether any other platforms share this
issue, but for now we'll assume it's NetBSD-specific.  (We might
later try to use "-z now" on more platforms for performance
reasons, but that would not likely be something to back-patch.)

Report and patch by me; the idea to fix it this way is from
Andres Freund.

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/3384826.1661802235@sss.pgh.pa.us

Branch
------
REL_14_STABLE

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/464db46760d2a89e1933038330f1d84210115886

Modified Files
src/template/netbsd | 9 +++++++++
1 file changed, 9 insertions(+)

От: David Rowley
Сообщение: pgsql: Various cleanups of the new memory context header code
От: Peter Eisentraut
Сообщение: pgsql: plpython: Don't create pgxsdir subdirectory in installdir target