Re: [HACKERS] PL/Lang (was: Priorities for 6.6)

От Oleg Broytmann
Тема Re: [HACKERS] PL/Lang (was: Priorities for 6.6)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello!

On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Jan Wieck wrote:
>     This  time, the Perl interpreter has to become a silly little
>     working slave.  Beeing quiet  until  it's  called  and  quiet
>     again  after  having  served  one function call until the big
>     master PostgreSQL calls him again.
>
>     This  flexibility  requires  a  real  good  design   of   the
>     interpreters internals.  And that's what I'm addressing here.
  I know exactly 1 (one) program that incorporate (embed) Perl interpreter
- it is editor VIM (well-known vi-clone from www.vim.org). I think anyone
who want to learn how to embed perl may start looking int vim sources.  Once I tried to compile vim+perl myself, but
perldidn't work. I am

perl-hater, so this probably was the reason.  Anothe example - mod_perl for Apache - is rather bad example, as
mod_perl is too big, overcomplicated and too perlish :)
  VIM can also be compiled with builtin Python interpreter, and I had no
problem compilng and using vim+python. Python is well known for its
extending and embedding capabilities. mod_python (it is called PyApache) is
small and elegant example of how to embed python, but of course it is not
as powerful as mod_perl (one cannot touch Apache internals from mod_python,
though author lead PyApache development this way).  Yes, I am biased toward Python, but I cannot say "I recommend
embed
Python to construct PL/Python" - I have no time to lead the development,
and I doubt there are many pythoners here (D'Arcy?).

> Jan
>
> --
>
> #======================================================================#
> # It's easier to get forgiveness for being wrong than for being right. #
> # Let's break this rule - forgive me.                                  #

Oleg.
----    Oleg Broytmann     http://members.xoom.com/phd2/     phd2@earthling.net          Programmers don't die, they
justGOSUB without RETURN.

От: Tatsuo Ishii
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] postgresql-v6.5beta2.tar.gz ...
От: Dmitry Samersoff
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6