Re: About #13489, array dimensions and CREATE TABLE ... LIKE

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: About #13489, array dimensions and CREATE TABLE ... LIKE
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 21, 2023 at 09:33:18AM +0100, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> writes:

> > > So should I work on that patch or do you want to try?  I think we should
> > > do something.
> >
> > Let's wait for some other opinions, first ...
>
> Looking at the code, I get the impression that we wouldn't lose anything
> without "pg_attribute.attndims", so +1 for removing it.
>
> This would call for some documentation.  We should remove most of the
> documentation about the non-existing difference between declaring a column
> "integer[]", "integer[][]" or "integer[3][3]" and just describe the first
> variant in detail, perhaps mentioning that the other notations are
> accepted for backward compatibility.

Agreed, I see:

    https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/arrays.html

    However, the current implementation ignores any supplied array
    size limits, i.e., the behavior is the same as for arrays of
    unspecified length.

    The current implementation does not enforce the declared number
    of dimensions either.

So both size limits and dimensions would be ignored.

> I also think that it would be helpful to emphasize that while dimensionality
> does not matter to a column definition, it matters for individual array values.
> Perhaps it would make sense to recommend a check constraint if one wants
> to make sure that an array column should contain only a certain kind of array.

The CHECK constraint idea is very good.

От: Jakub Wartak
Сообщение: Re: trying again to get incremental backup
От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: CREATE FUNCTION ... SEARCH { DEFAULT | SYSTEM | SESSION }